cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do closed accounts count for "mix of credit"?

tag
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

Do closed accounts count for "mix of credit"?

Just read that mix of credit accounts for 10 percent of your FICO score. Does it count if the accounts are closed on my report and paid in full? Or do they only consider open, reporting accounts? I have closed student loans, a car loan, and bank cards. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: Do closed accounts count for "mix of credit"?

Yes, they will still factor in.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

@abundancejones wrote:

Just read that mix of credit accounts for 10 percent of your FICO score. Does it count if the accounts are closed on my report and paid in full? Or do they only consider open, reporting accounts? I have closed student loans, a car loan, and bank cards. 

You might wish to look at this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Mix-of-credit-closed-accounts/td-p/309619...

One of the points made is that open accounts do more for you than closed ones.

This doesn't necessarily imply you should run out and get several new installment loans, given that there are certain startup and maintenance costs associated with any type of loan.

Message 3 of 6
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@abundancejones wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Mix-of-credit-closed-accounts/td-p/309619...

This doesn't necessarily imply you should run out and get several new installment loans, given that there are certain startup and maintenance costs associated with any type of loan.

@user5387 wrote:

@abundancejones wrote:

what makes no sense is closed accounts paid as agreed do nothing for you, however closed accounts as charge offs affect you and unpaid revolving affects you just as a normal open revolving account does.

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

@abundancejones wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

@abundancejones wrote:

what makes no sense is closed accounts paid as agreed do nothing for you, however closed accounts as charge offs affect you and unpaid revolving affects you just as a normal open revolving account does.

Who has stated even in the threads quoted that closed accounts don't do anything for you?

All things being equal: if you have two identical length tradelines reporting as positive history, and one was just closed and one is still open, the open one counts somewhat more than the now closed one.

That doesn't mean the closed one isn't worth spit in the FICO algorithm: the absurd Transunion New Accounts score or whatever they're marketing it as these days, which only factors open accounts, should absolutely be ignored... and frankly, laughed at in my estimation.

        
Message 5 of 6
GFer
Valued Contributor

Agree with Relavate.  I had an account listed as an old baddie. When the 'bad' status aged off I gained 6 points. When the account itself aged off my my report I lost 13 points for aaoa's.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.