Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200?

I'm new to this forum so apologies but I have to get this off my chest.

Yes, I understand how credit scoring "works"—but it doesn't really work for us, it works for the creditors. We get thrown under the bus when we try to do the right thing by paying off our debts.

I've watched my scores plummet after paying off my student loans, my mortgage, and my tax debt. All because I decided plastic wasn't for me so I got rid of my credit cards and have been using...(wait for it)...only the money I actually have! **bleep**. What a crime. So the system punishes me for not being a good little capitalist and buying into the fake money scheme so they can make millions from interest and high balances.

Credit is not a credit to anyone but banks and big business. If I want a shiny new iPhone and I don't have the $800 to buy one, I sure as heck am not going to "finance" it and end up paying over $200 in additional interest payments if I can help it. My parents bought their first car in cash. They owe nothing to anyone. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Never a borrower nor a lender be?

Well, I don't care anymore. I am so done with the way this country strings you along and then leaves you in the gutter the second you can't pay your creditors. I don't care if my so-called "poor credit rating" prevents me from getting a loan for a car or a new apartment  lease or a new mortgage or a bloody seat in Congress. Screw the car, the apartment, the house with the white picket fence, and the rat race.

I've been paying every month to monitor my credit scores and it's just occurred to me: What's the point? Good, fair, poor, abominable—it's all subjective. I know I'm doing the right thing by NOT getting a credit card just because you're supposed to have one. Just because you're supposed to pay for stuff with money you don't actually have right that second. Just on the wing and a prayer that your job will be secure or that you won't suddenly suffer a debilitating accident that puts you out thousands of dollars because you can't afford health insurance.

Stick a fork in capitalism. More specifically, have we not learned anything from the Stock Market Crash, the Great Depression, the Not-So-Great Recession, Reaganomics? Apparently not. Someone still thinks "Monopoly Money" is the way to go. I'll take my $200 and risk passing up on my "Get Out Of Jail Free" card instead of gambling on the unlikelyhood of getting Boardwalk and Park Place.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200?

Interesting rant! Here's my response to you: Yes credit card companies make obsurd amounts of money off of interest, but that's where buyer responsibility comes into play. A person should not be spending more then they have, and people don't necissariy use credit cards just because they don't have the funds available. Alot of people are after the rewards, as well as improving thier score to get a lower interest rate on a car, house, etc. Allthough it is not the smartest, I respect your decision to quit the credit "monopoly" game. Since you plan on paying cash for everything from now on, simply having a credit card and buying a single coffee a month, or using it for any small purchase would easily boost your score. For some people they feel the need to moniter their credit closely which is why they pay monthly for it. If it's not that big of a deal to you, like I said before, nobody is forcing you to pay for the monthly subscription. I hope I helped shed some light on the fallacy of your idea. Unfortunatley it's just going to hurt you in the end when you wind up paying a rediculous amount of money for a mortgage or when you can't buy that nice new car because you don't have sufficient credit. BUT, if you plan on spending the rest of your life paying in full with cash then so be it and I wish you the best of luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

What makes you think someone using a credit card doesn't ever have the money to make the same purchase in cash? I don't buy anything with a credit card that I can't pay for then and there with cash. I choose to use my card(s) for rewards, extended warranty, liability coverage (rental cars), etc. I use them to benefit *me*. The banks don't make a thing off my spending - the retailers and other businesses pay them for the pleasure of accepting my payment. Do I pay a higher price because the retailer accepts credit? Perhaps. But my success in negotiating cash discounts has been limited to small local retailers. The big boys just don't care.
Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking as a consumer: FICO scores are simply the risk that you're going to flake on an extension of credit.

There's nothing really magic or instrinsic about it; yes I agree some of the policies the CRA's have and how things are scored are laughably stupid, but that's starting to change with more recent models... now we just have to yank some lenders (I'm looking at you Fannie and Freddie with that EX Risk Model V2 score you underwrite on) into the current millenium.

I lived a cash-based existence until I was nearly 36 years of age: no problem, here's N x yuppie food stamps to solve the issue.  Until I got face to face with California housing prices, and I can't cough up $750k in cash for a house in a good school district.  So, building credit... and my expenses haven't changed one bit by using credit cards, and only slightly (marginal interest) on financing a car instead of writing a check.

It's a means to an end and the information on how to optimize a report is readily available for free here and elsewhere; I agree it's a game we possibly shouldn't have to play as rigorously as we do, but that's the modern financial system.  If you prefer something other than the American financial system, there are places that can be accomodated... just credit scores are a fact of life here and in most Western societies.  If you have hard currency some of those places would be happy to take you too; however, unfortunately end of the day there's no utopia at least here and now for humanity, and there's tradeoffs whatever society you live in.  

If you want to be successful, just make the credit system work for you instead of against you.  It's not difficult, just takes some time to get to gold plated status but literally anyone can do it.  Why not simply do it and take the money when you need it?

        
Message 4 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP: You did not say what your credit scores are. Everyone has their own definition of "plummet" and frankly, from the number of accounts you say you've paid off, it would seem you already should have a reasonable score.

Please share more about your specific credit profile components, and where you are finding your FICO scores, and what those scores are.

Sorry to hear you are frustrated, but it's not personal, it's just the way this economy works in an impersonal way. You can participate or not, but there's not much to do about the system as it has evolved to this point, except do what you can to understand how it works, take advantage in areas that you choose where it can benefit you.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.