Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do your credit scores drop when you close account(s)>

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do your credit scores drop when you close account(s)>

Status:  EQ: 761 TU: 708 EX: 675.  No baddies  AAOA: 3.8 yrs  Util. 3%  Want to close all 3:  MyMilestone, C1 Visa, C1 MC  All have CL at or below 700.  Thnxs in advance

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

Re: Do your credit scores drop when you close account(s)>

It depends.  

FICO uses the Average Age of Accounts within their scamming algorithim to calculate your score.  If your AAOA improves after closing those accounts, then your score might go up or stay the same.  If the accounts that you're wanting to close are your oldest accounts, then more than likely your AAOA will be lower after closing them and therefore reduce your score, which is what FICO and the banks want so they can charge you a higher APR for future loans.

Something else to think about is your utilization of your revolving accounts.  If you close those revolving accounts, do you have other open revolving accounts and will your total utilization % increase?  If your utilization % goes up, then your score goes down.

Something else to think about is the type of remaining accounts that are open.  If you closed ALL of your revolving accounts, FICO may reduce your score because you don't have any revolving accounts open.  

FICO sucks, and they really should have a simulator to tell you EXACTLY what would happen to your score by taking any action, but they don't want you to know because they want to continue making money from the banks who are making more money from you and others by charging them higher APR's for no good reason.

Good luck. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Status:  EQ: 761 TU: 708 EX: 675.  No baddies  AAOA: 3.8 yrs  Util. 3%  Want to close all 3:  MyMilestone, C1 Visa, C1 MC  All have CL at or below 700.  Thnxs in advance

Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your scores are improved, although there is a big mismatch between EQ and EX. Something negative has dropped off or was never reported to EQ?

In general, closing an account will not impact your score in a noticeable way. I have closed 3 major card accounts just in the last 7 months, including an account that was open since 1998, with no distinct change in score. The total credit on those was $35k, each had a zero balance. I have many other accounts in my file, closed in the last 7 years, most of the older ones were closed with some sort of balance, two of the closed accounts I'm still making payments on.

In the case of these three cards, a store card and two Credit One cards, absolutely close them. You are at the point where you can transition from the predatory Credit One and ignore store cards because you have other, legitimate, widely accepted CC.

Good job!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ChrisinKC wrote:

It depends.  

FICO uses the Average Age of Accounts within their scamming algorithim to calculate your score.  If your AAOA improves after closing those accounts, then your score might go up or stay the same.  If the accounts that you're wanting to close are your oldest accounts, then more than likely your AAOA will be lower after closing them and therefore reduce your score, which is what FICO and the banks want so they can charge you a higher APR for future loans.

Something else to think about is your utilization of your revolving accounts.  If you close those revolving accounts, do you have other open revolving accounts and will your total utilization % increase?  If your utilization % goes up, then your score goes down.

Something else to think about is the type of remaining accounts that are open.  If you closed ALL of your revolving accounts, FICO may reduce your score because you don't have any revolving accounts open.  

FICO sucks, and they really should have a simulator to tell you EXACTLY what would happen to your score by taking any action, but they don't want you to know because they want to continue making money from the banks who are making more money from you and others by charging them higher APR's for no good reason.

Good luck. 

@Anonymous wrote:

This response is actually providing misleading and incorrect information. Cards remain on your file many years after closure, providing information about payment history. I don't think AAoA is impacted by closing an account, only open available credit amounts.

and this is getting into unreasonable levels of speculation that are irrational.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

Misleading information? Where's your proof that I'm incorrect? Seems like you're just trolling my posts trying to invalidate everything I say.

Everything I've read is AAoA is for your OPEN accounts. If that's not true, then this website is wrong because here is where I learned that.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisinKC wrote:
Misleading information? Where's your proof that I'm incorrect? Seems like you're just trolling my posts trying to invalidate everything I say.

Everything I've read is AAoA is for your OPEN accounts. If that's not true, then this website is wrong because here is where I learned that.

I'm sorry but you didn't learn that here.  Your AAoA is calculated from all of your accounts, open and closed

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 6 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ChrisinKC wrote:

Could you provide a link to that source of information?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

Could you provide a link to that source of information?

Good luck with that.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.