Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does DTI affect credit score?

tag
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

Does DTI affect credit score?

My husband and I both have student loans that are deferred, mine are through federal loan servicing and currently report as $0, deferred. However, my husband's each list a payment amount, which currently totals to about $500 a month, except that it's deferred so we don't actually pay that right now. Does this affect his score at all or is it unrelated? 

I didn't even notice this until I made us each an account on credit.com and credit sesame and noticed that he had a negative indicator for dti and I didn't, then I pulled up our TU reports and figured out the cause. 

Also, this is kind of unrelated, but does anyone have an idea why I have a collection that isn't showing up on any online reports (currently using credit karma, credit sesame, and credit.com) but is on my TU report. It's a joint collection (paid in full now) in both of our names and it does show up on his accounts. Either way, it's on my actual report which is what matters but I was confused about why it's on his and not mine! Thanks!

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Does DTI affect credit score?

No, DTI is not a scored factor in a FICO score.

Any report pulled from a 3rd party can vary from what is on your actual reports from the CRAs.  It is generally a formatting issue.

Message 2 of 4
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

Okay, thanks for the info!

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 3 of 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

There are several factors that affect your ability to get credit, but not your score.

DTI and income are two of the big ones, along with the thinness/thickness of your file.

People often worry a lot about their scores, but it's more effective to consider the whole package, which certainly includes DTI.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.