Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Negociating Repayment Plan Hurt Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Negociating Repayment Plan Hurt Score

I have a 580 FICO score. I am having a hard time keeping up with my payments after losing a job. I am considering negotiating a repayment plan with my credit card companies to make interest only payments until I land another job. Will this hurt my FICO score? It is already so low; I'm thinking it is better to work out a deal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
unlucky_hove
Regular Contributor

Re: Does Negociating Repayment Plan Hurt Score

More than likely any type of "negiotiation" you are able to secure will result in AA (account closure, etc). If your accounts are closed then your score will drop because you lose the availible credit, but keep the balance. Have you spoke to a CSR about paying interest only? Can that even be done?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife did it with one of her cards, so it is possible. Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As I view it,  payment or non-payment of debt is not directly scored.  FICO is a risk analysis of liklihood of future delinquencies. 

It is true that the level of current debt can contribute to the increased liklihood of future delinquencies.  Prediction of liklhood of future default based on events that have not yet occured is indirectly included by looking at items such as your current % util of your existing credit, so FICO does make guesses.  It combines those predictions with actual historical delinquencies, which dont involve guesses or predictions.  They are fact.  So past actual payment history combined with current utilization of credit account basically for a whopping  65% of FICO's crystal ball.

The payment or non-payment status of debt is not scored directly, but rather indirectly through delinquencies that are reported when debt is not timely paid, and by the percent that debt claims of your existing credit limits.  On the flip side, paying delinquent debt does not in and of itself improve one's FICO score.

So I look at it from the perspective, disregarding the issue of account closures, that entering into a plan to pay only interest will reduce the chance of actual delinquencies occuring in the future, and thus forstall future hits on your FICO score.  But paying only interest wont reduce the principal balance on any account, and thus wont result in any improvement in % utilization.  So FICO stagnation.

While this may be a bit oversimplified, in my opinion (disregarding the speculative issue of possible account closures), such a renegotiation plan would appear to be basically FICO-neutral.

Message 4 of 5
unlucky_hove
Regular Contributor

^What he said 

Anyway Northstar12, I wasn't aware that that could be done. Im glad to hear your DW had success previously with the same thing. Please keep us informed if you are able to negotiate any deals with your creditors because i would like to have that in my back pocket if i ever need it. Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.