Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a credit bal on CC lower FICO?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Does a credit bal on CC lower FICO?

I've been PIF-ing before the stmt cuts. 2 of my CCs now have a credit bal, because I paid the balance incl pending charges, as I didn't want to risk any balance reporting. I'm just wondering if the CCs reporting a credit bal can negatively affect your FICO. I know the credit is only temporary, but this siutation may reoccur in future months. My main concern is if the credit bal is hurting my credit score.

I do have one CC w/a balance reporting $550 bal on $2200 CLI, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does a credit bal on CC lower FICO?

Hi BM,

What you're saying is you overpaid and have a credit to your account correct?

I always do this with the CC's that allow me to overpay (BoA and AmEx mainly)

If my bill is 473.28, I will pay 480.00, with AmEx it will not show as a credit, it actually shows my Avail credit as 12,407, but when it reports, it will just show a 0 bal and my regular CL of 12,400.

Now BoA on the other hand, will show a credit, and my avail credit stays the same, and it will report a 0 balance with a 10,000CL.

I also do this with my PayPal SC account, it will show a credit, and my CL will stay the same at 2150 and will report a 0 balance and my normal CL of 2150.

All that said, it has never changed the way my cards report, hence no changes to my score.

Hope that helpedSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

IME a negative balance on a CC has always been reported as a zero balance.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
IME a negative balance on a CC has always been reported as a zero balance.

This is my experience too, except from my Amex zero balances not being reported at all, so does this mean that Amex doesn't also report (as a zero balance) when the balance is negative?

The whole thing is less than consistent. I particularly wish that "You have too many credit accounts with balances." would say "You have too many credit accounts with positive balances." Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 5
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks, everyone! That's good to know. I won't worry about overpaying the CCs. Smiley Happy
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.