Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a dispute impact a FICO Score?

tag
krielly
Established Contributor

Does a dispute impact a FICO Score?

I realized yesterday that my Transunion report did not reflect my paydown on my credit cards, while the other two bureaus did.

I filed a dispute by phone with Transunion that the balance reporting was incorrect. The status on this dispute shows as pending.

Well, as luck would have it, today I find that the paydown is now showing on my CR. I don't think this is due to the dispute, I think it's just a timing issue.

I did see a 40 point increase in score today as a result. My question is, does the fact that a dispute is pending on this item affect my score? I can call Transunion to remove the dispute, but I am just wondering if it has any impact right now being that it is pending.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Karen

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does a dispute impact a FICO Score?

When you dispute, the financial components, like the balance and CL, are removed from scoring. Once the dispute clears, then they are re-factored into your score.

Usually the CRA won't remove the dispute once started, but if they are going to do that, then great. Usually there's no permanent damage. Most TLs will just adjust the balance and verify with the CRA and the remark goes away. However, some become a pain and delete the TL during the dispute, but will usually reappear when it reports next statement cycle.

IME, TU is always the slowest, often by a week.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.