cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know more about how FICO Score 9 differs from Score 8 model?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know more about how FICO Score 9 differs from Score 8 model?

Does anyone know more about how FICO Score 9 differs from Score 8 model?  (I also tried doing a search for "FICO Score 9" on the forum, but was unable to find any meaningful search results.)  I recently ordered my 3 CRA scores and reports on MyFico, and they are apparently now listing FICO Score 9 values.  What I found interesting was that my Score 9 values were significantly lower than my Score 8 values, for reasons I'm not quite sure of?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does anyone know more about how FICO Score 9 differs from Score 8 model?

Try a Google search. It never fails.

Message 2 of 38
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Done, thanks for the helpful reminder.

Message 3 of 38
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Was the FICO 9 much lower than the 8?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 4 of 38
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

Was the FICO 9 much lower than the 8?

I experienced score drops of -13, -21, and -23, when comparing my current FICO Score 8 values with the corresponding Score 9 values for the 3 CRAs.

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Done, thanks for the helpful reminder.

I saw this same thread under "Understanding Fico Scoring" or something along those lines. I know you were there because you have a rather long sig that's very easy to remember. The answers that were given were very vague at best. I thought of answering (about the differences) but figured it wasn't worth the effort (no pun) and simply just kept reading. BTW, I had just finished reading the differences between the two prior to coming to the boards.... 

Message 6 of 38
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

My Fico 9's are way lower I mean way lower than my 08's and lending scores(05/04 scores)..  No places that I know of are using them as of yet or probably for the next year or two.. I tend to think they might need to work out the bugs..  I would be curious what the emphasis is on with the scores as they are WAY lower than my 04/08 scores.  I hope no lenders use them anytime soon as they appear to be junk at this time at least for me personally.

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

My Fico 9's are way lower I mean way lower than my 08's and lending scores(05/04 scores)..  No places that I know of are using them as of yet or probably for the next year or two.. I tend to think they might need to work out the bugs..  I would be curious what the emphasis is on with the scores as they are WAY lower than my 04/08 scores.  I hope no lenders use them anytime soon as they appear to be junk at this time at least for me personally.

I lean towards the opposite - but you're a good guy so I'll leave it at that Smiley Happy

Mines are about 50 points higher across Smiley Surprised  but I'm not holding my breath about their usage anytime soon. 

Message 8 of 38
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I lean towards the opposite - but you're a good guy so I'll leave it at that Smiley Happy

Mines are about 50 points higher across Smiley Surprised  but I'm not holding my breath about their usage anytime soon. 

It will be awhile until lenders adopt them.. I am pretty sure many of them are probably running test along side the current model they are using along with the 09 model and gathering information before switching over.. Just speculation though.  They deffinetly penalize for different things alot more than the Mortgage or 08 scores do, completly different model it appears.  Meh no sense it worrying about something I can't control and I don't forsee it going mainstream for at least a year if not more.

Message 9 of 38
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Mine are higher, in the optimal zone.  It must knock folks down if any baddies, just don't know.

Signature needs updating
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.