cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does buying land pass for mortgage loan?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Does buying land pass for mortgage loan?

One thing I lack on my credit reports is a mortgage. My credit was bad when we bought our house and the mortgage is in my wife's name only. I've since bought a rental house but it didn't end up on my report because it was considered commercial. I was kinda suprised by that. Not sure if it was just the bank's policy or if it's always that way. 

Does buying land count as a mortgage for credit reporting purposes? Anyone know? I don't have the full mix of types of credit and thought this might be an easier way to achieve that.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does buying land pass for mortgage loan?

@ztnjpv wrote:

Does buying land count as a mortgage for credit reporting purposes? Anyone know? I don't have the full mix of types of credit and thought this might be an easier way to achieve that.

Yes, provided the loan is a mortgage loan. There are some examples in here of land purchases being treated as an installment, but that's up to the bank.

IMO, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars in interest just for a few extra points at best on your FICO score. Buy it if you need to buy it, but I wouldn't buy it for the sake of a FICO score. You can certain hit into the 800s without a mortgage as many on here have.

Message 2 of 3
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: Does buying land pass for mortgage loan?

llecs,

thanks for the reply. I wouldn't buy useless land just to pump my score a little. Its just an idea in case I see something potentially useful for building. 

Of course, I could just get my name on the mortgage we have and be done with it. ;-)

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.