Established Contributor
ztnjpv

Does buying land pass for mortgage loan?

[ Edited ]

One thing I lack on my credit reports is a mortgage. My credit was bad when we bought our house and the mortgage is in my wife's name only. I've since bought a rental house but it didn't end up on my report because it was considered commercial. I was kinda suprised by that. Not sure if it was just the bank's policy or if it's always that way. 

Does buying land count as a mortgage for credit reporting purposes? Anyone know? I don't have the full mix of types of credit and thought this might be an easier way to achieve that.

Starting Scores (Sept 2011): All lower-mid 600s. CURRENTLY: TU FICO: 801 (3/28/14), EQ FICO 808 (3/28/14), EX FICO 798 (9/4/13) (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Does buying land pass for mortgage loan?

ztnjpv wrote:

Does buying land count as a mortgage for credit reporting purposes? Anyone know? I don't have the full mix of types of credit and thought this might be an easier way to achieve that.

Yes, provided the loan is a mortgage loan. There are some examples in here of land purchases being treated as an installment, but that's up to the bank.

IMO, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars in interest just for a few extra points at best on your FICO score. Buy it if you need to buy it, but I wouldn't buy it for the sake of a FICO score. You can certain hit into the 800s without a mortgage as many on here have.

Established Contributor
ztnjpv

Re: Does buying land pass for mortgage loan?

llecs,

thanks for the reply. I wouldn't buy useless land just to pump my score a little. Its just an idea in case I see something potentially useful for building. 

Of course, I could just get my name on the mortgage we have and be done with it. ;-)

Starting Scores (Sept 2011): All lower-mid 600s. CURRENTLY: TU FICO: 801 (3/28/14), EQ FICO 808 (3/28/14), EX FICO 798 (9/4/13) (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+