cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does fraud transaction affect credit score negatively?

tag
haoniukun
Established Member

Does fraud transaction affect credit score negatively?

Hi,

I found a fraud transaction on my credit card transaction list, so I called the credit card company.

The customer reprenstative closed the card and told me that they would issue me a new card.

I'm just curious if the new card will have any negative impact on my credit score.

I may need to apply for mortgage in the next couple of months.

I don't hope the problem will have any negative impact on my credit score.

If there is negative effect, how can I compensate to minimize the negative impact?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: Does fraud transaction affect credit score negatively?

no, it does not effect your credit score and it does NOT show up as a new account either. After one or two months your prior history and start date from your old card will be merged to the new account.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 6
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

no, it does not effect your credit score and it does NOT show up as a new account either. After one or two months your prior history and start date from your old card will be merged to the new account.

Does this depend on the company? Last year Bofa closed a bunch of accounts due to a "security breach" on their end and issued new cards. My old account was closed, reported lost/stolen & a new trade was opened. Same history of course, but both trades are on my credit reports.

Message 3 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I can speak for Chase as I recently had the experience.  My old  account was there for one possibly two reporting months, then the old account vanished.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 6
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

I can speak for Chase as I recently had the experience.  My old  account was there for one possibly two reporting months, then the old account vanished.

Yeah, my BofA issued happened May'12, and both lines are still there =/

Message 5 of 6
haoniukun
Established Member

Mine is discover.

I'll try to monitor my credit report so that I can keep the length of my credit history for the discover card.

Thanks for your replies.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.