Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having items deleted from your credit report help your score

tag
tnph04
Established Member

Does having items deleted from your credit report help your score

I have been trying to repair my credit for about 3 months.  I disputed some negative items on my account from Equifax.  On May 6th I received some decisions from Equifax.  7 of my negative items were deleted from my credit file.  I have not seen an increase off my credit score yet.  Does anyone know how long this takes?  All accounts were 2008-2011.   Should my score increase?  Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this, and what to expect.  I have also been working on the other two reports w/ some progress w/ transunion .. Had 4 deleted May 5th.  Still no increase there either.  My current scores is 587 Tans & 575 Equ.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does having items deleted from your credit report help your score

It can take anywhere from 30-45 days sometimes for the system to update. It also depends what other items are on your CR. As long as the rest of your reports are clean, and your UTI isn't out of control(cards maxed out), then you should see a boost. But what that actual number is hard to say.

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 2 of 10
tnph04
Established Member

Good to know.  I will update when i have some change

Message 3 of 10
ecalmese
Regular Contributor

@tnph04 wrote:

Good to know.  I will update when i have some change

keep us posted on what kind of boost you get from the deletes

Started January 2013 in the lower 500s
Scores (as of January 2014) Equifax 630 | Experian 646 | Transunion 674
With the help of you all; I am working my way to the 700 club!
Message 4 of 10
tnph04
Established Member

well I got an updated credit report on myfico for equifax, all 7 plus deletes are gone but my score never changed.  .. disappointed Smiley Sad  i will still keep you all updated... Still have my fingers crossed

Message 5 of 10
ecalmese
Regular Contributor

@tnph04 wrote:

well I got an updated credit report on myfico for equifax, all 7 plus deletes are gone but my score never changed.  .. disappointed Smiley Sad  i will still keep you all updated... Still have my fingers crossed

im keeping my fingers crossed for you as well. from what i've read it takes 30-45 days after the deletes are posted in order for you to see an increase in your score.

Started January 2013 in the lower 500s
Scores (as of January 2014) Equifax 630 | Experian 646 | Transunion 674
With the help of you all; I am working my way to the 700 club!
Message 6 of 10
tnph04
Established Member

Well here is a month later... No increase in equifax..... and i had 9 deleted off my transunion and dropped 22 points......... i give up..... I have tried to get rid of all my negative collections/charge off and i have gotten no where. This is crazy............ CREDIT SCORE SUCK........  hope other have better luck then me.... at least most of the negatives are gone...... make my report look better, I guess no home for me this year Cat Mad

Message 7 of 10
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Did you have them delete entire TLs?  If so, did that destroy your AAoA?  Also, what's your util look like?

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The amount of a score increase is usually dependient as much on what remains as what derogs may have been removed.

If major derogs (CO, collection, 90+ late, judgement)  still remain, your scoring continues under a "dirty" scoring category/bucket.

That determines the weighting of remaining derogs.

When all major derogs are gone, a sizeable increase is usually seen.

Additionally, as pointed out, any changes in other categories, such as util or lenght of credit, may offset gains in payment history.

It's rarely a "one-category gets this" expected gain that can be predicted.

Message 9 of 10
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Do u have a secured card or any positive trade lines ? Even though items are being deleted you still need to obtain a credit card
Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.