cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does installment account by utility company help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does installment account by utility company help?

I have my gas company reporting to TU. It shows up as installment account and has always $0 balance and high limit (I use auto pay). I was wondering if such an account counts towards anything. It seems as it does not influence my length of credit history. Maybe it is a account that can only hurt, if something goes wrong, without any positive effect.

Message Edited by Physicist on 09-13-2008 11:06 AM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does installment account by utility company help?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have my gas company reporting to TU. It shows up as installment account and has always $0 balance and high limit (I use auto pay). I was wondering if such an account counts towards anything. It seems as it does not influence my length of credit history. Maybe it is a account that can only hurt, if something goes wrong, without any positive effect.

If it's reporting as installment, rather than revolving, it probably doesn't have much effect, other than its existence as an open TL.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that is your only installment loan showing as open then it is a sizeable boost, and depending on the length of time open it may be a boost to your average age of accounts.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If that is your only installment loan showing as open then it is a sizeable boost, and depending on the length of time open it may be a boost to your average age of accounts.

That is what I also thought. But fact is hat my average age is the same on EQ, EX, and TU, although only TU sees this "installment" account.
Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If it does not hurt your avg age of accounts, it is clearly positive.  It adds an installment loan to your credit mix, at 0% util.
It is rare that a util co. makes regualr reports to a CRA.  From this, I would conclude that they take a very agressive credit policy, and I would NEVER have a late payment with them!
Message 5 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:
If it does not hurt your avg age of accounts, it is clearly positive. It adds an installment loan to your credit mix, at 0% util.
It is rare that a util co. makes regualr reports to a CRA. From this, I would conclude that they take a very agressive credit policy, and I would NEVER have a late payment with them!

United Illuminating, the electric utility for my part of Connecticut, is the only one of my utilities that appears on my credit history. Sprint, Comcast, AT&T, and Southern Connecticut Gas have never appeared on my history.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:
From this, I would conclude that they take a very agressive credit policy, and I would NEVER have a late payment with them!

Right, that is why I use the automatic payment plan ;-)
Message 7 of 10
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

@MattH wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:
If it does not hurt your avg age of accounts, it is clearly positive. It adds an installment loan to your credit mix, at 0% util.
It is rare that a util co. makes regualr reports to a CRA. From this, I would conclude that they take a very agressive credit policy, and I would NEVER have a late payment with them!

United Illuminating, the electric utility for my part of Connecticut, is the only one of my utilities that appears on my credit history. Sprint, Comcast, AT&T, and Southern Connecticut Gas have never appeared on my history.

Yes, be very careful with United Illuminating.....that's all I will say..
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley IndifferentQuite frankly, I have to agree with the above post(s) although I have always been a faithful and timely payee on all my utilities including phone and Cable just recently I had to turn down HDTV Sattelite Service because it would cause me to incur a hard inqury on my CRA report for a service request with no benefit.  In other words I would lose FICO points for an inquiry (HARD) but gain nothing for another tradeline.  And it would stay with me for 2 years!  No thank you!   
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://prbc.com/secure/login.php  I hope this link works.  It's some kind of Scam after market 3rd Party Thing You have to send Documentation to and they record Payment info. on a data Base for a fee but it doesn't count towards your FICO profile.  IMHO it's virtually worthless.  But Check it out if you Want!

'

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.