Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does pulling my Score lower my Score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does pulling my Score lower my Score?

Is that correct?  This is what the Mortgage Loan officer at my bank told me.  I know applying for credit or rate shopping can affect the CR for a short time.  But I didn't know pulling the Score could be bad.

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does pulling my Score lower my Score?

NO...pulling your own score does NOT affect your credit score.
Message 2 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

NO!!!!!!!!  Mods please bump
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Per the info on credit inquiry impact on my fico.com here is a more in depth answer to your question:

What to know about "rate shopping."

Looking for a mortgage or an auto loan may cause multiple lenders to request your credit report, even though youre only looking for one loan. To compensate for this, the score ignores all mortgage and auto inquiries made in the 30 days prior to scoring. So if you find a loan within 30 days, the inquiries won't affect your score while you're rate shopping.

In addition, the score looks on your credit report for auto or mortgage inquiries older than 30 days. If it finds some, it counts all those inquiries that fall in a typical shopping period as just one inquiry when determining your score. For FICO scores calculated from older versions of the scoring formula, this shopping period is any 14 day span. For FICO scores calculated from the newest versions of the scoring formula, this shopping period is any 45 day span. Each lender chooses which version of the FICO scoring formula it wants the credit reporting agency to use to calculate your FICO score.

Hope that helps!

Message 4 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I see the new versions allow 45 days now! Nice!
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pulling your own report or score results in what is sometimes called a "soft" inquiry. "Hard" inquiries are those that occur when you request credit from a lender. "Soft" inquires don't even show up on your report, in some forms, but they always have zero impact on your FICO scores.

Message 6 of 10
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Hummmm ... For reasons of "permissable purpose" I have been hestitant to dispute several double-reported hard inquiries, on my credit reports -- such as two hits within two days from Credstar, during the time I was refinancing the house.  Should I dispute these? 
Message 7 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

MercyMe wrote:
Hummmm ... For reasons of "permissable purpose" I have been hestitant to dispute several double-reported hard inquiries, on my credit reports -- such as two hits within two days from Credstar, during the time I was refinancing the house.  Should I dispute these? 

Technically Credstar still has PP. I would kindly ask them to remove any dupes.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

with apologies, i'd just like to be clear on this... using myfico to get my fico scores does not lower my scores and, in theory, i could pull these scores monthly with no adverse effect?
Message 9 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

clownsquad wrote:
with apologies, i'd just like to be clear on this... using myfico to get my fico scores does not lower my scores and, in theory, i could pull these scores monthly with no adverse effect?

Correct. Many of us pull our scores\reports daily.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.