cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does removing a DEROG with one agency force the other two to cooperate?

tag
peterchou
New Visitor

Does removing a DEROG with one agency force the other two to cooperate?

I was once told that if you get something negative removed on your credit report with one agency, that you can force the other two agencies to follow suit. Is that true?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does removing a DEROG with one agency force the other two to cooperate?

@peterchou wrote:

I was once told that if you get something negative removed on your credit report with one agency, that you can force the other two agencies to follow suit. Is that true?

Welcome to the forums!

No, they keep seperate databases and have different policies, and at times pointedly don't talk to each other (they're competitors).

Hypothetically if you get a negative removed legitimately from one CRA, the other two will remove it for the same reason, but you still have to approach them individually typically is my understanding of it.

        
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA places the responsibility on the furnishers (creditors/debt collectors) to report required changes to each CRA.

If you file a dispute with one CRA, and resolution of that dispute by the furnisher is deletion due to lack of verifiability of the disputed information, it is not sufficient for them to report the results to only the CRA handling the dispute.  They must report that result to each CRA to which they have also reported the information.

The FCRA does not place the burden on the CRAs to notify the other CRAs except for certain specific issues, such as identity theft.

If, however, a furnisher deletes on their own, i.e., it was not mandated by a dispute, then they have no requirement to delete with the other CRAs.

Uniformity in reporting all information to all CRAs is not required.  The FCRA requires only that what they do report must not knowingly be inaccurate.

Similarly, if the issue is update of information rather than deletion, furnishers are required to maintain the current accuracy of reported information with each CRA under FCRA 623(a)(2).   Thus, if information is updated with one CRA in order to maintain its current accuracy, they are required to report that change to each CRA.

Message 3 of 7
GFer
Valued Contributor

And although they are 'required' doesn't mean they will. Equifax and my file are proof of that! So....YMMV & good luck!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they fail to update with all CRAs after deltion at one CRA resulting from failure to verify the disputed information, then send them a direct dispute.

If they still dont comply, send a formal complaint to the CFPB.

It's their statutory obligation.

Just make sure that the deletion was based on the results of a dispute, and not voluntary deletion on their part.

Message 5 of 7
aarenc
New Visitor

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you stay proactive on the topic of this report. The FCRA is like many Federal Programs and that means you need to pursue it to ensure it gets done. I pursued all three bureaus as one poster mentioned and it took a good bit of time but the CBs finally got it right.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.