Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does store card lower score?

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Does store card lower score?

CD - Thanks again. Agree with your plan.

Frankly, where I am today is really about sound credit management. The 1st time I saw a Fico credit score was Feb 2014 when Discover card reported it at 850. Certainly it is useful to know your credit score but, it is how one manages credit that delivers results - not knowing the score itself.

I admit to being obsessed about models and wanting to better understand how they score factors. Nonetheless, general principals deliver 90% of what one needs - key points of difference for LN CBIS being average CL and presence of retail/department store cards as factors which are not considered in VS and Fico credit scores.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 31 of 32
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Does store card lower score?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Back to LN CBIS Auto reason codes - Here is another interesting one that likely keeps my score down [my oldest account is an AMEX charge card from 1984 & oldest revolving CC is 1989 => age ratio = 84%]

3027  ........... Ratio of Oldest Bank Revolving Account to Oldest Account is 71.55% to 87.5%

A Ratio of 99.78% or Higher is Better

1. What information is this message derived from? The score considers how long you have had a credit history with a bank revolving account. This may be done by figuring how long it has been since you opened your oldest listed bank revolving account. If the account has been closed, it still may be considered. A bank revolving account is one such as a Visa, MasterCard, etc.

2. How does this affect my insurance risk score? Insurance industry research shows that consumers with longer experience managing their bank revolving accounts have fewer insurance losses.

3. What can I do to improve this aspect of my score? As your credit history ages on your bank revolving accounts, the score may improve based on this factor. To avoid lowering this aspect of your score, consider keeping your oldest bank revolving account active and only open new accounts when needed.

Hi TT!  Yep, I posted about that strange ratio calculation earlier in this thread.  Basically it is looking to see whether your oldest account is a revolving account (typically a true credit card rather than an installment loan or a charge card).  If your oldest account is NOT a credit card, then you get spanked.

The interesting thing to me is that the explanatory text is false.  It says

1. What information is this message derived from? The score considers how long you have had a credit history with a bank revolving account. This may be done by figuring how long it has been since you opened your oldest listed bank revolving account. If the account has been closed, it still may be considered. A bank revolving account is one such as a Visa, MasterCard, etc.

This factor is not, however, measuring how long you have had pure revolving account.  If it was doing that, it would be rewarding Thom Thumb for having what is indeed a very old credit card (26 years old!). 

Because it is looking at the ratio, you can get maximum scoring points from this factor for having your oldest account being an 8-month old Visa.  In that case, your ratio (oldest major CC / oldest account) would be 1.0000.  By way of contrast, the algorithm would penalize you for (basically) having a ratio that is anything less than 1 (you get spanked if it is < 99.78%) -- and it would penalize you even if you had a 40 year old major credit card!

So it makes me wonder if they actually know what they are trying to do.  Are they, as the explanatory text claims, trying to measure whether you have a long history of using a pure major credit card?  If so, this ratio test does not do that at all.

I also get spanked on this factor, since my oldest account is a student loan.  I had an older CC, but it was inadvertently closed 13 years ago.

What they are trying to do (read all the reason codes), is find some way to raise your rates.  Many contradict each other.  Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.