cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the 'between statement' balance matter?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Does the 'between statement' balance matter?

Greetings -

Recently the victim of cc theft, and am foregoing the use of that card / card's replacement until the issuer corrects the accounting to my satisfaction (a longer and unnecessary story).

Meanwhile, I'm charging all my miscellaneous bills to my other card, the util of which is approaching 50%.

As long as I pay the balance down before the due date (which precedes the statement Closing Date by 3 days), do I risk any adverse FICO impact? (FWIW, this card has always reliably reported the Statement Balance 3-6 days after the closing statement.)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Does the 'between statement' balance matter?

You will be fine as long as the post the payment is credited by the due date which means it shows up on the next statement.  Sorry for the CC teft.  I know that really sucks.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are some rare lenders who will actually update reports with a mid-cycle balance -- as well as lenders who may update mid-cycle if you make some changes to the account.

I have never seen it myself.  I know some people on some blogs reported that the Wells Fargo Secured may update a balance midcycle.  I also have seen reportds of BoA cards that will update midcycle if you change some detail of the account (address, name change, etc).

Chase will report midcycle if you pay it to zero, others they won't report midcycle.

Most cards do NOT report midcycle, so you can use the card as much as you want and get it down to your desired utilization before the report date.  Also note that most cards will report the statement balance, but some like US Bank will report the balance at the end of the month and ignore the statement balance.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The chances of mid-cycle reporting are extremely small unless you have your creditor working on something with your account.  For example, Citi has been working on issues with my account for a couple of months and as a result for the last 2 months they've done a mid-cycle reporting which has caused large balances to be reported on my card as opposed to the $0 or $1 balance that I allow to report each month.  This would be an outlier example though and one that you shouldn't have to worry about.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase CBNA are known to pull and report your balance between statements.

Thus not best cards for AZEO.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Chase, I've only heard of them mid-cycle reporting a $0 balance if you pay your balance off mid-cycle.  With Citi, I have not heard of this at all except for outlier examples such as the one I posted about above.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do just that, pay off my Chase balance mid-statement, as a matter of habit.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.