Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't understand the actions of Experian

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't understand the actions of Experian

Recently, I went to look into buying a new truck. I'd checked scores on my identity protection site before leaving and they ranged from 645-690. TU was the highest with Experian the lowest. I know that lenders and others get different scores than we see when we check but they came back and showed me a 608! I asked which bureau and it was Experian. I went outside and checked the site again and sure enough, Experian had dropped my score. The site gives positive and negatives that have shown up in the selected timeframe and mine had a negative that stated that there was a "change" to one account and listed as possible changes 'negative information, credit limit change or other changes". Yeah, one of my cards had recently raised my limit $2000!

The change was only recorded on Experian - nobody else even picked up the increase in the limit, much less dinged me for it. So now, Ex shows 592! with the others at 675 and 685. Since Ex seems to be the place most checked, is there any way for me to get a reason for the decrease? Is there a way to challenge or request a rescoring? I'm not so interested in the truck but I'd really like to consolidate my credit cards. I've read about Springleaf and OneMain and some other peer-to-peer but all rely on Experian.

Is there a lender who does not? Or takes all scores into account?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don't understand the actions of Experian

@Anonymous wrote:

Recently, I went to look into buying a new truck. I'd checked scores on my identity protection site before leaving and they ranged from 645-690. TU was the highest with Experian the lowest. I know that lenders and others get different scores than we see when we check but they came back and showed me a 608! I asked which bureau and it was Experian. I went outside and checked the site again and sure enough, Experian had dropped my score. The site gives positive and negatives that have shown up in the selected timeframe and mine had a negative that stated that there was a "change" to one account and listed as possible changes 'negative information, credit limit change or other changes". Yeah, one of my cards had recently raised my limit $2000!

The change was only recorded on Experian - nobody else even picked up the increase in the limit, much less dinged me for it. So now, Ex shows 592! with the others at 675 and 685. Since Ex seems to be the place most checked, is there any way for me to get a reason for the decrease? Is there a way to challenge or request a rescoring? I'm not so interested in the truck but I'd really like to consolidate my credit cards. I've read about Springleaf and OneMain and some other peer-to-peer but all rely on Experian.

Is there a lender who does not? Or takes all scores into account?

Sorry to hear about your problems but to answer your questions about challenging or changing your score, sadly the answer is no.  The only thing you can do is dispute erroneous information on your reports but nothing you can to change the score if everything is correct.  Not sure where you are getting all your scores but there has to be some difference on your reports did that disparity in scores to exist.  I'd make sure to pull all three and see what is different.  

There are are banks and credit unions that don't use Experian but you would need to check around to see what fits your needs and who you can join.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.