Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in EQ score, why-o-why??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drop in EQ score, why-o-why??

So like a good fico student, I am using scorewatch to hopefully better understand this whole wonky world of fico. Yesterday my scored dropped 6 points the same day as a change to my report occurred. The two accounts that have "changes" I am currently disputing and the only difference I can see on the report is that they show a) that they are in dispute and b) the description section now says this "Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process Amount in H/C column is credit limit"

Other than that, I see no changes. So what about that would make my score go down? Does disputing do that? or does that mysterious sentence about "Amount in H/C column is credit limit" mean something? 

Just trying really hard here to make sense of it all! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Drop in EQ score, why-o-why??

No one knows eh? I am floating in the fico void......

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The dispute would have removed the financial components of the TL, like our payment history or balances/limits. So, if the history was helping or the utilization positively helped in relation to your other CCs, then you would have received a score drop when you disputed.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks llecs  - simply disputing removes the financial components from the TL? I figured that would happen only if the dispute was resolved...
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's difficult to say.  I disputed something several years ago; I paid for an item online and the seller didn't send the item.  I had made several email contact attempts, and after 3 weeks passed I was nearing the dispute limit timeframe (30 days) so I made a dispute of the charge.  I filled out the paperwork, and the item arrived four days after the dispute was initiated, postmarked the day after.  I don't know if disputing moved things along or not.  I suspect it did, but it's one of those things that you'll never know...to this day, four years later, that card still says, "In dispute status", even though I called and informed the ccc that the issue had been resolved.

At any rate, I would suspect disputes indicate a  customer who may not want to pay, or made a mistake thinking the charge was fraudulent.  FICO may consider the majority of disputes to be a cardholder error (not a ccc error) and therefore penalize for the inconvenience the dispute causes.

Dan

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.