Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate TL hurting my score?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Duplicate TL hurting my score?

I have two entries on my credit report for the same account, both listed as closed: GMAC mortgage which was closed when they folded back in 2012 and transferred to Ocwen mortgage. This account closed when I refinanced last year. The GMAC/Ocwen account had a few lates from 2010/2011 (30 day).

Now I have two seperate and identical TL on my report: one from GMAC and one from Ocwen. Both trade lines contain the EXACT same information.

Should I contact the CRA to have one of the entries removed? I know the 30 days should not longer be affecting my scores, but is there an amplification factor having duplicate (potentially negative) trade lines? And if so, does it work the other way as well (having duplicate positive accounts helping score)

Thx!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Duplicate TL hurting my score?

I know I have duplicate lines from when I had cards reissued after the Target breach. They seem to help my average age of accounts. I would think that the negatives would impact as well. Hopefully, someone more educated in this will answer soon!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

That's what I'm afraid of...I don't want to do harm by having it deleted. I guess I'll also have to weigh the AAofA implications.
Message 3 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I could be wrong, but probably in 3-4 months the oldest account will be gone. For now they are parallel accounts so you don't loose history, etc. When I reported a lost/misplaced cc, they reported simultaneously for a couple of months or so. Then shazam! The original account number/history were gone and merged into the new account number. It did not effect my Fico Score one way or the other when they both reported.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

@GFer wrote:

I know I have duplicate lines from when I had cards reissued after the Target breach. They seem to help my average age of accounts. I would think that the negatives would impact as well. Hopefully, someone more educated in this will answer soon!

If OP appears to have duplicate TLs, it might be worth checking to see if the open dates are identical as well.

If an arbitrary TL is deleted from a report, whether doing so helps or hurts AAoA depends on the age of the TL relative to the overall AAoA.

Message 5 of 6
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@GFer wrote:

If OP appears to have duplicate TLs, it might be worth checking to see if the open dates are identical as well.

If an arbitrary TL is deleted from a report, whether doing so helps or hurts AAoA depends on the age of the TL relative to the overall AAoA.

Thanks user 5287.  I just checked my equifax report and the Ocwen Mortgage is reported 2/2007 (date opened).  The GMAC on the other hand is saying (date not reported).  So does this mean the GMAC is not being facotred into my AAofA anyway (and I should ask for it to be removed)?

All of the other data is identical.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.