Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate tradeline

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplicate tradeline

So I just noticed on my credit report. ONLY equifax, a charged off account (settled and closed) has 2 tradelines with the same acount and same info. If I get one removed do u think my score will improve a bit?

Also what should I dispute it as. There is no box to check "duplicate account".....

Anyone done this and had success??
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Duplicate tradeline

I'm not sure how to go about the dispute, but I'm sure others will help with that.

If it is a duplicate trade line the information is being factored into your score twice, so you would likely see some improvement in score although it likely wouldn't be significant depending on age.  How many other negative accounts (accounts that possess a negative piece of information) do you have, and it was it the age of them (if any) and what's the age of the account you're saying is duplicated?

How does your EQ score compare to your EX/TU scores?  If EQ is your lowest score by a little bit, you could probably guess that the difference could be the double bad account.  There are dramatically diminishing to no returns however on multiple negative accounts on your credit report.  For example I had a 120 day late payment on one account and a 90 day late on another.  Removing one of those items gave me 1 point, where removing the second gave me 41 points.  Others have reported more than a 1 point gain in this example, perhaps 5-10 points, but no where near the amount achieved when eliminating the final baddie.  As with almost everything credit related, it's very profile-specific.

Message 2 of 12
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I just noticed on my credit report. ONLY equifax, a charged off account (settled and closed) has 2 tradelines with the same acount and same info. If I get one removed do u think my score will improve a bit?

Also what should I dispute it as. There is no box to check "duplicate account".....

Anyone done this and had success??

I have had a duplicate tradeline only on Equifax for the past 7 years.  Of course it is a CO.

I've disputed it with Equifax every 6 to 8 months and it always comes back verified.

Luckily for me, my CO and it's evil twin, will both age off my report in August of this year.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

DiD it get deleted at some point?? How long was it gone for?
Message 4 of 12
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
DiD it get deleted at some point?? How long was it gone for?

My twin tradeline line first appeared around 2012 on EQ only.  And since EQ will not remove it, the twin tradeline is still appearing on EQ.  

Thankfully, the DOFD for it on EQ is 9/2010, so it will gracefully age off EQ in August 2017.

At this point my twin baddie is just a faded memory.  Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does that make sense if it's reporting the same account??
Message 6 of 12
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
How does that make sense if it's reporting the same account??

I would love it if I had four or five twin tradelines that had $25K SL with 0.2% utilization reporting Smiley Happy

Oh well, win some, lose some

Message 7 of 12
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

I guess the answer is to wait it out because nothing can be done?
I'm reading through old forums because I'm having the same problem. I have an old apartment complex that was sold to debt collector. It is duplicated on my credit report for Equifax. I disputed it they said it was valid and updated. The account has the same info on it from the same collector. Only difference is the account number is listed like 74748xxxx and the second account like 74748xxxxx the change is in account. Number having a few more X's behind it. But it is showing as double negative on my account, double derogatory, and of course is figured into my total accounts ugh!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If both accounts have different account numbers, even if only off by 1 digit, I would think they'd both be viewed as completely different accounts both by the creditor and by the CRA's and of course the FICO algorithm that's being used to create a score. 

Message 9 of 12
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Exactly. And it isn't fair lol.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.