Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX down by 11 points today, WHAT ?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX down by 11 points today, WHAT ?????

Hi Guys,

Well i took a hit this morning, woke up and got a credit alert, my EX score took a 11 poit hit, i was in shock, i jumped off the bed and went to my laptop, when i checked i saw my Util went from 2% to 4%, after digging a little found out that CareCredit reported $1900 balance, i did use the card and that is fine (was a dental work) but what i dont understand is why 11 points?, i went from 2% to 4% not 60% Util, MAX credit 78K.

Is this normal?, 11 points ??, is this real ?? i am planing to pay this amount in 2 months, will i get my points back?, in your experience how long will take to get those point back?

Please any advice will be great.

Thanks in advance Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EX down by 11 points today, WHAT ?????

There may be other changes that you weren't aware of that make up part of that 11 point change. For example, removal of old, closed account(s) off your report.

Alerts don't alert on all changes, but rather rely on triggers, such as, a particular event (ie. new account, hard inquiry, utilization, etc) and/or aggregate change in score over time (ie. 10 points or more).

If utilization on the CareCredit card alone is upwards 60% or so, that could be much of the reason. However, if util on it is say 30% or less, the 11 point drop is near certainly something else.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you ronpa for your replay,

Yes my util on that car is 50% now, my limit is 5k and balance is 2.5K, (i have another charge from before that is being pay monthly, $600 left to pay) so as you said i think that trigger that drop, really nothing else change, on Dec 10 my score went up 10 points and yesterday went up 1 point, so last night i was on 711 and today it dropped back to 700.

I will try to pay that back as much as i can and see what happens.

Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well i took a hit this morning, woke up and got a credit alert

Which monitoring service?  If you're using myFICO, keep in mind that myFICO is trigger based.  Make sure you understand the triggers.  Not all activity with a scoring impact is a trigger so you can't rely solely on alerts to determine the cause(s) of scoring change.

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this normal?, 11 points ??, is this real ?? i am planing to pay this amount in 2 months, will i get my points back?, in your experience how long will take to get those point back?

There's no way for us to answer any of these questions.  To determine the cause(s) of any scoring change you have to carefully compare reports from before and after the change.  We have no idea what's on your reports or what would have changed and there are countless possiblities with scoring impact.

Additionally, if you're going to fret over scoring changes you need to set a threshold of at least 20 points.  Normal variations in reporting data will cause your scores to go up and down.  Just looking at my TU FICO 8's for the past two years my scores have ranged from 788 to 815, going up and down the entire time.  If I reacted like you did to every change I'd have died from multiple heart attacks.

There's a massive range of what's possible when it comes to changes in report data and scoring,  What's "normal" is something that you have to determine for your credit profile and activity.  You have to establish the baseline and keep an eye on how actions and changes impact your score.  You can't just poll others on what is or isn't normal.  That's not relevant.  The changes specifically to your report data are directly relevant.

@Anonymous wrote:

when i checked i saw my Util went from 2% to 4%, after digging a little found out that CareCredit reported $1900 balance, i did use the card and that is fine (was a dental work) but what i dont understand is why 11 points?, i went from 2% to 4% not 60% Util, MAX credit 78K.

It's certainly possible or at least one cause among others.  Again, we can't verify for you.  You have to do that.  If it was revolving utilization you don't need to hit 60% or Max for 11 points.  You'd probably see a much bigger impact for an increase like that.

If the only change was revolving utilization then your score will recover when your revolving utilization drops.

@Anonymous wrote:

really nothing else change

You cannot assume that.  You must pull reports to verify.  Personally, I wouldn't bother with it for 11 points but it's your call as to how important is it to sort it out.

Are you applying to any creditor/product (that pulls Experian) immediately anyway?

Message 4 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

normal fico noise...

your scores will be back when you pay the balance down.  

Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you ronpa for your replay,

Yes my util on that car is 50% now, my limit is 5k and balance is 2.5K, (i have another charge from before that is being pay monthly, $600 left to pay) so as you said i think that trigger that drop, really nothing else change, on Dec 10 my score went up 10 points and yesterday went up 1 point, so last night i was on 711 and today it dropped back to 700.

I will try to pay that back as much as i can and see what happens.

Pay it a little below 50% next statement, to like 45%, and report the score boost.

My experience is about 7 points up or down when crossing below or above 50% on any one card, from multiple instances in the last few months.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.