Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX drop, but why?

tag
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

EX drop, but why?

Good morning everyone. So I got an EX alert saying that a cap 1 loan was paid and 0 balance. I though ok, my wife and I just refi the car loan. However, there was a 34 point DROP in score down to 641. I was like **bleep**. I pulled a new report on there site and nothing new (bad) is on there and I just had 2 CCD accounts we closed out update as closed today. So we lost (1500) in CCD uti. But my new Discover and Arrival TL added on there a few days ago so that adds (2800 avail credit) so it shouldn't be Util AAoA doesn't matter open vs closed account right? I know it's gonna take a hit with those 2 new accounts plus 2 more TL yet to report. So if it was because the new accounts and the AaoA hit, shouldn't that have updated a few days ago? Just trying to figure out why I took a 34 point hit. The new accounts that much?  Util with old closing and new reporting is 11.2%   WAS 9.6% so I know it can't be the CCD Util...could it really be because of the AAoA hit?

EQ8: 646 EQ5: 652 V3.0: 665 **8/2015
TU8: 635 TU4: 700 V3.0 :663 **8/2015
EX8: 636 EX3: 670 V3.0: ? **8/2015
CCD Util 35%

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

Re: EX drop, but why?

bump

CCD Util 35%

Message 2 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The bigger part of the drop is due to the mature installment loan closing out.

Message 3 of 9
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Its actually NOT the cap 1 auto loan.  That has yet to update, usually the end of the month, and will be replaced with a new loan that we refi'd with.  There was 2 small Credit Cards that closed out.  Cap 1 (500) and Merrick Bank (1000).  They have been replaced with an Arrival and It accounts.  I know its gonna affect my AAoA, but shouldnt be that severe, right?  Myfico (called them) said its because of the new accounts opened and the old ones closed...hmmmm...ONLY EX dropped.  EQ has 1 of the closed accounts reporting as closed and BOTH new tradelines and that score went up 1 point.  NOTHING else is different on my EX report...pulled today...Even tho the alert on here said paid closed $0 balance cap1 LOAN...thats not correct...Hope that made sense.

CCD Util 35%

Message 4 of 9
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

This thread also has the 2 pics I uploaded to show the alert and the actual TL on EX *From this am credit pull*  Thanks again everyone!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/EX-score-drop/td-p/3856676

CCD Util 35%

Message 5 of 9
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

If you hadn't already discounted the possibility, my first thought would have been to agree with gdale6, that it was closing the auto loan.

I take it you don't have a report with the prior 675 score? If so, no doubt you would have compared those reason codes with the new ones.

You're right that open ve closed doesn't affect AAoA and that closing the two cards shouldn't have impacted util, since you have two new ones with higher limits reporting.

Do you have any 60 day lates, collections or public records of any age? If so, what's the worst? I'm only trying to guess, based on buckets, how much impact a new account might have, as that's the only reason I can think of for the drop. As for why, if the new accounts were to blame, didn't you get alerted sooner, the alerts may just not have been generated sooner for technical reasons.

Oh, and no, there's no chance the score was miscalculated. That just doesn't happen. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

You Rock, Barry!!   I did get all the alerts for the new Arrival and It card accounts and actually gained a point or 2.  EX sent another alert this am saying the 2nd *of 3 Credit Cards I closed* was updated.  So, Myfico shows that as a paid loan, and not a CC from them..I realize that now, as I have seen it twice.  So, the question about it being a "Loan" is  a wash in this instance.  I got an alert from Barclays saying my TU score has changed and well....it dropped 22 points *currenlty at 611, Im sure myfico will alert soon*  EQ has not updated with the closed acounts yet here, has on CK, so I expect a drop as well.  I knew the drop was coming, kind of a short term loss for longer term gain??  As far as the bucket, I am 25 months post BK7 Discharge.  I have heavily re-built since then.  Nothing bad at all and Util is at 13% *CCD*  There are few baddies/Collections (IIB) and a few lates on Sallie Mae TL that will age to good in a few years. *7 TL to be exact Smiley Sad*  So I knew, the hit was coming, but did the FICO gods really just not like me closing the account?  Because, it appeard** they didn't care about the 2 new ones.  *There will be 2 more new ones later this month*  Re-bucket within my bucket?  LOL   Thanks again sir!  Update:  There is the alert from EQ, closed account drop 24 points to 611.  Now, on CK and I assume on here as well.the 2nd of 3 accounts shows closed...Will I take another big hit when the other account shows closed as well?

CCD Util 35%

Message 7 of 9
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

I confess to being a bit confused as to whether the paid loan is or isn't reporting, and at which bureau. But all in all, it appears to me that the score drop(s) are due to a combination of the closed loan and hit to AAoA from the new cards, but when the new refi reports you may see an increase, depending on what the new open date does further to the AAoA.

Again, I'm somewhat confused, so may not be making a lot of sense. But regardless of what is and isn't reporting and by whom, opening the new cards with higher limits and refi'ing were very good moves that should help in the long run.

Considering where you were 25 months ago, you're doing great!

Message 8 of 9
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

Sorry, Barry...I confused you.  LOL  The alert from MYFICO 3 in 1 CB monitoring said its a "PAID LOAN"  Thats the code, or what myfico describes it as.  Only with EX though. The alert from EQ shows it correctly, its a PAID $0 and good Credit Card Account that got paid off and closed.  Its NOT the AUTO loan.  I can confirm that its just the way MYFICO shows you the alert and calls it a "LOAN".  So, whats really happened is the reports have updated with 2 of the 3 CREDIT CARD accounts that my wife and I closed out.  The "OLD" auto loan (Cap 1 finance) still shows OPEN...So, in reality the alerts are telling me that Credit card accounts have been updated to $0 balance and closed.  Hope that clarifies it.  Smiley Happy

I fully agree on the hit being taken, just didn't think it would be that much, but oh well.  Like you said, all the changes were very positive and the short term hit will be WELL worth the LONG term gain.  Very much better spot then 25 months ago...Thank you again for the help...hope that got clarified.  So btwn the 3 accounts closing (Credit cards) and the what will be 4 new Credit cards accounts and INQ, I guess a 20-35 point drop isn't that bad.

CCD Util 35%

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.