Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX score tanked due to old IIB acts updating

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

EX score tanked due to old IIB acts updating

OK, lets just say right now I am livid, and have spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out what happened to my EX report/score.  So, a few months ago, my score tanked from 679 to 658, and I chalked it up to my car loan reporting paid, and my new personal loan reporting 100%. No big deal I thought, It'll recover. 

Fast forward to tonight......

Unfroze EX so I could get a new Discover scoreboard EX score to see where I was, and to my surprise my score is now 655.  OK...now Im freaking out.  I havent had this low of score in 4 yrs!!  So I start looking through everything and Discover Scoreboard says I have "recent lates"! WHAT!!! um, No I dont! So, I quickly pull a 3-B, and an actual EX report.....all looks the same...BK/IIB for negs as usual, and all my other accts show current/paid/never late....mmmmmm, 

So I dug a little deeper into my IIB accts.....

3-B report shows 2 of my IIB accts from 2013 that have updated stating they were IIB in 08/2017, and showing them to be late in 2017, on an IIB acct that was DC in 2013! My EX report shows the same thing. Those accts were IIB in 05/2013.....so, how and why those two accts updated is  beyond me, but no doubt that those two items are the real culprit for my score tanking as much as they did. 

Ive been at a steady 679-681 for 3 1/2 yrs now despite app sprees/INQ/etc., and even with the new loan/paid off loan, my scores would not have tanked that much!! My TU and EQ  scores only took a 3-5 pt dip 4 months ago, and have already recovered! ..... So, Ill be disputing ASAP with EX tomorrow!  I will now be asking for full deletion of those two accts. I will update my thread when I can with my outcome. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EX score tanked due to old IIB acts updating

I had the same thing happen to my EX report but it was my student loans that updated to show that they were included in my BK in 12/2017. I have no BK in 12/2017. My BK was filed 5/2015, this caused my EX Fico score to drop 21 points.

I disputed this with EX in January and they did nothing, told me to send them my BK papers or call the student loan folks. I have disputed it again this month and am waiting on the response. If not fixed, I will be filing reports with the BBB, FTC, and CFPB.

Message 2 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I had the same thing happen to my EX report but it was my student loans that updated to show that they were included in my BK in 12/2017. I have no BK in 12/2017. My BK was filed 5/2015, this caused my EX Fico score to drop 21 points.

I disputed this with EX in January and they did nothing, told me to send them my BK papers or call the student loan folks. I have disputed it again this month and am waiting on the response. If not fixed, I will be filing reports with the BBB, FTC, and CFPB.

After sitting here mulling over this, and so mad I cant go to sleep, Ive decided that Im not dipsuting with EX, Im going straight for letters to the FTC/CFPB. I just looked at my reports with TU and EQ....not there, only EX. Ive worked too hard rebuilding to have something like this,  that shouldnt have happened to begin with,  ruin it. Im going cut throat here, lol. Ill be sending them copies of everything. 

Message 3 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

ok, since Ive been battling this for a few years, Im done. Complaint filed with the CFPB this morning, with supporting documents uploaded as well.

The waiting game starts....Ill update once I hear back. I stated in the complaint, the only fair resolution at this point since they have been in violation for a few years now reporting this, I asked for permanent deletion of the two accounts.

Even if I don't get them deleted, and just finally updated correctly, Ill post my before and after scores Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have battled them as well. They are difficult to deal with. They posted IIb accounts with lates that were created after BK7 was filed and stays on the accounts were placed. One account was NoT IIB and was paid as agreed which i have a direct email from the company stating such but experian would NOT change the status. CFPB said they are not in control of such things and only collect data in the corporation for future use.
Message 5 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I have battled them as well. They are difficult to deal with. They posted IIb accounts with lates that were created after BK7 was filed and stays on the accounts were placed. One account was NoT IIB and was paid as agreed which i have a direct email from the company stating such but experian would NOT change the status. CFPB said they are not in control of such things and only collect data in the corporation for future use.

I will tell you this...Im not going down without a fight...period. Their reporting is in complete violation, and none of these so called "agenicies" can do anything about it? I may have to bring civil suit, I dont know, but something will be done. 

Message 6 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I hope you get this resolved quickly.
Message 7 of 15
arkane
Established Contributor

Man I'm so sorry you have to deal with this crap from Experian, but I hope you find solace in the fact that YES, a civil suit WILL light a fire under their feet and force them to take action eventually. Hopefully this thread will be inspirational: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-happens-when-you-file-an-FCRA-Civil-Suit...

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are likely going to run up against an FCRA 623(c) issue by deciding to rely upon the CFPB complaint process rather than first pursuing a dispute via the CRA.

The FCRA is structured to remove from the consumer the right to pursue civil action for credit reporting inaccuracy issues under FCRA 623(a).  The purpose of that bar is not to discourage voluntary reporting to the CRAs in fear of private consumer civil suits.

As an alternative, the FCRA permits private civil action for lack of reasonable investigation of a dispute that asserts inaccurate reporting, which effectively requries the consumer to first give the furnisher the opportunity to investigate and correct inaccuracies.

While FCRA 623(c) does permit government agencies, such as the FTC or CFPB, to directly pursue reporting violations, they usually decline to initiate bringing their own civil action if the consumer has not first given the furnisher the opportunity to investigate and correct any inaccuracies by first pursuing a dispute with the CRA.  It is thus usually prudent for a consumer to first file a dispute and obtain a reasonable investigation prior to pursuing the complaint process before the FTC or CFPB.

I would recommend consultation with an attorney regarding the decision not to first pursue a dispute filed with the CRA, and thus open the door to later possible civil action.  Absent the filing of a dispute with the CRA, you dont have the ability to pursue private civil action.

Message 9 of 15
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear pizza!!!! Sending my highest credit kudos/thoughts/prayers your way to get this resolved ASAP! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.