Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX up, TU down

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

EX up, TU down

October scores: EX 782, TU 796, I understand the difference, there are more HP on EX

November: EX 810, TU 824, I understand both increases, my secured loan reported less than 10% (only 1 payment left)

Now the interesting part:

TU: December 805 (-19), HP* CLI and my only loan is now closed. January 792 (-13), new card reported, I can understand this.

EX: December 811 (+1), HP* from new card and loan closed. January 818 (+7), new card reported, I don't understand this.

*HP was on the same day (app for 1 card, CLI for the other)

So TU is now 32 points lower than November while EX is 8 points higher.

Do you think this is normal? I expected EX to go down also (HP, new card, no active loan).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: EX up, TU down

@newhis wrote:

October scores: EX 782, TU 796, I understand the difference, there are more HP on EX

November: EX 810, TU 824, I understand both increases, my secured loan reported less than 10% (only 1 payment left)

Now the interesting part:

TU: December 805 (-19), HP* CLI and my only loan is now closed. January 792 (-13), new card reported, I can understand this.

EX: December 811 (+1), HP* from new card and loan closed. January 818 (+7), new card reported, I don't understand this.

*HP was on the same day (app for 1 card, CLI for the other)

So TU is now 32 points lower than November while EX is 8 points higher.

Do you think this is normal? I expected EX to go down also (HP, new card, no active loan).

No this is not normal because in the last 24 hours I've lost 12 points on my TransUnion credit report and nothings changed except the inquiries are falling off. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

Do you think this is normal?

I suspect it's normative (acting as it should), even if it's not normal.

Think of it like this. Suppose you'd never been exposed to US football before. You'd never actually seen a game, and you know nothing about it, but one day you start following games via an app on your phone. The only thing is, the only information that the app gives you is how many yards each play goes for and, periodically, what the score is. You've never even heard of things like penalties or turnovers or missed kicks or deflated footballs.

Most of the time, you notice, the team that gains the most yards during the game ends up with the higher score. And there seems to be rough relationship between how many more yards and how much more score. More yards generally equals higher score, you realize. But when you try to distill it into a formula (one point for every 20 yards perhaps?), it just doesn't seem to work out. And then every once in a while, the score makes no sense at all. One team out-gains the other significantly and yet gets outscored. Now you're confused. It's not normal!

Of course, it would all make sense if you had all of the information. If you understood how to factor in a couple of crucial turnovers and some game-changing penalties, it would clear everything up. But you can't. You don't have the necessary information available.

That's a loose analogy for how our FICO scores work. What we know will allow us to predict with some accuracy what the scores are going to do. But there's enough we don't know that we're going to be surprised and unable to explain what happened from time to time.

Message 3 of 4
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect it's normative (acting as it should), even if it's not normal.

Thank you very much. If I understand correctly, having some differences between EX and TU (like HP and 1 less AU card on EX), this feeds the algorithm and with the info they have about me, having a HP it is more significant on TU where I have fewer than EX, in other words EX see the extra HP as 'normal behaviour' so I don't get a score drop, while TU see it as a risk taking away some points.

And the drop in AAoA on TU could put me in another 'bucket' (for the extra AU card), while on EX I stayed in the same bucket and now 1 more month (oldest account).

That makes sense.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.