Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXP down 8 pts - WHY?!

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: EXP down 8 pts - WHY?!

@racer-x wrote:
Answer this question then: does myfico provide us with alerts that are not indicative of a score change?

Yes, for the most part the alerts that I get do NOT directly show a score change. The score changes arrive only every few days, and my TU went from December 24, 2014 (-11 to 703) to February 11 (+4) then February 19 (+6) and March 5 (+7) as the only "score changes" in that time.

During that time, I added three CC reporting, closed a card, no new INQ on TU, and balance decreases: $43,623 to $38,586 to $37,540 to $37,891 on those four days, respectively.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 33
racer-x
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@racer-x wrote:
Answer this question then: does myfico provide us with alerts that are not indicative of a score change?

Yes, for the most part the alerts that I get do NOT directly show a score change. The score changes arrive only every few days, and my TU went from December 24, 2014 (-11 to 703) to February 11 (+4) then February 19 (+6) and March 5 (+7) as the only "score changes" in that time.

During that time, I added three CC reporting, closed a card, no new INQ on TU, and balance decreases: $43,623 to $38,586 to $37,540 to $37,891 on those four days, respectively.

NRB-That was kinda  rhetorical question that makes my point as well.  I was making a point that we're in essence paying for alerts that don't mean diddly doo doo squat.

We GET alerts showing score changes that ARE NOT actually responsible for the score change, but we DO NOT GET alerts that are responsible for score changes?  Makes perfect sense.  rollseyes some more.

I really do get all this believe it or not. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 33
NRB525
Super Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@racer-x wrote:

NRB-That was kinda  rhetorical question that makes my point as well.  I was making a point that we're in essence paying for alerts that don't mean diddly doo doo squat.

We GET alerts showing score changes that ARE NOT actually responsible for the score change, but we DO NOT GET alerts that are responsible for score changes?  Makes perfect sense.  rollseyes some more.

I really do get all this believe it or not. Smiley Wink

No, we get alerts of changes to the file based on the threshholds that each bureau decides on. There is a thread here that outlines what those threshholds are. So you can get an alert for one change from one bureau, but not see an alert for the same change on the other bureaus. Yet all those changes eventually get included in a score calculation, which is triggered by that last alert which moved the algorithm enough to lead to a score change, gathering the alerts from the last X days, displayed or not, which were complementary but not by themselves enough to trigger a score change.

You can also have stuff fading from past history, such as INQ, baddies dropping off, AAoA crossing a hidden time gate, which do not give an alert, but does affect the current score.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 33
noobafterbk
Contributor

im becoming concerned that watching this forum im being told that as a consumer i cannot possibly jnderstand why something happens and i must just accept this. that some calculation which.has 49 different scores based on industry weighted needs decides what i am. also how can a cra score be so different from the fico score surely the cra bases their scores on the info in a persons credit report as they have it so then fico comes along and decides to change the formula and provides a NEW score? why so many scores.....is equifax score invalid is so why have one at all?
Message 24 of 33
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@noobafterbk wrote:
im becoming concerned that watching this forum im being told that as a consumer i cannot possibly jnderstand why something happens and i must just accept this. that some calculation which.has 49 different scores based on industry weighted needs decides what i am. also how can a cra score be so different from the fico score surely the cra bases their scores on the info in a persons credit report as they have it so then fico comes along and decides to change the formula and provides a NEW score? why so many scores.....is equifax score invalid is so why have one at all?

Welcome to the world of consumer credit score confusion. The only scores you want to give an credence to are any Fico and the Vantage. The Vantage score is used by some creditors and Fico is the most widely used score to approve loans. Its true there are 49 different Ficos in each Fico year, there are specific lender models (Bankcard, auto, mortgage, collection ,etc). The Fico score is an ever evolving number as new model years are developed based on lender experiences and feedback from current and previous models.

Your Fico will rarely be the same at all bureaus due to how the info is recorded by each individual bureau and not all creditors use all 3 CRAs. You need to remember Fico is a fluid number (a snapshot in time) based on whats in your CRs.

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I was just a bit impatient! My EX score just jumped 22 pts to 650 !! I am so glad I bounced back!!

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@racer-x wrote:

Soooo, what is being said is, we get alerts on things that don't trigger score changes, but get no alerts on things that trigger score changes?  Got it.  rollseyes

No, that is not what is being said!  Give it a break already racer!  

The point was made, that the event triggered an alert(the OP's having an event occur on her credit report).  However, that event, while triggering an alert, is not necesscarily why the OP's score went down.  AS mentioned, each alert is just informing you that something happened; but that alert may not coincide with a up or down movement of your score.  I am sure that everyone on this board that discusses this topic is aware of your disdain with the current nature of alerts with the monitoring system.  But, I find ZERO benefit of your comments day in and day out on this topic?   

And if we just do a bit of research and have patience in the case of the OP, we will see a score change that indicates the actions taken...

Message 27 of 33
slund5499
Established Contributor

Although not set in stone for FIO scoring.....Experian does offer a table of triggers for all 3 bureaus. Not every bureau uses the same trigger based on their version of scoring models. If FICO 08 or 09 was used by all 3 main CRA's then the triggers used for alerts would be identical for 3 fico scoring models on EQ, EX and TU.

You would indeed get bombarded by alerts (including those that affect score increases or decreases).

This is only a guide but it might help put together information that could explain score changes. I have been tracking my daily score changes for 4 months now on a spreadsheet. I note all alerts (whether a score changes or not). Eventually I will compile enough data points to post for others to see. Of course this information is a direct reflection of my credit profile and only impacts my scores.

In the garden since 02/1/23. Newest Account AU Discover It 10K
02/23 Scores; EQ 608 TU 642 EX 575 CCU: 20%, Inq. 2, 1, 2 Collections $39K
Lending Club: newest account 2/3/23. Old Fico 1/17 EQ 530 TU 542 EX 512

Message 28 of 33
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Black- you cant respond a wk later to somebodys post. 'It' was resting comfortably. Ive forgotten any of the fico nonsense . Im back to work so i dont have time for your shenanigans. Deuces.
Message 29 of 33
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Black - Make that 10 days/1.5 wks ago that I posted the reply that you quoted.

You're gonna have to do better than that....try to pay a little better attention....you're embarrassing yourself.  Deuces.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.