Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of Inquiries on scores

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Effect of Inquiries on scores

If I understand and remember correctly, the inquires will have an effect on credit scores for 12 months and they physically drop off the reports in 24 months. Am I correct or do they have a different effect on the calucation of credit scores? What is the total effect of inquires on the credit scores and for a 5 separate inquires in one month,  how much score drop can we anticipate?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effect of Inquiries on scores

Each enquiry will cost you 10 points.
Message 2 of 26
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What ? Are you serious? Are you saying if I have 5 inquires then I'll loose 50 points in scores? That does not make sense to me. Is it real 10 points for each inquiry?

Message 3 of 26
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What ? Are you serious? Are you saying if I have 5 inquires then I'll loose 50 points in scores? That does not make sense to me. Is it real 10 points for each inquiry?

I believe that is bad info, or at least in my experience it is.  

Our experts may be able to answer this better, however every profile is different.  I know in my case, when I went from zero inquires to one, I was dinged about two or maybe three points.  When I added another one, there was no impact.  I suspect there would have been more of an impact if I would have added a third.  I think I have read about some people taking a five or so point hit for the first couple of inquiries, however again, I believe it varies profile to profile.  

If you added several within a month, as you mentioned, if they were all coded the same, such as shopping for a car loan or a mortgage, then they should only count as one inquiry, although they will each still show on your reports.  If they are shopping for credit credit cards or not coded as indicated above, then they each likely count on their own as a full inquiry.  

From the comment above, I seriously doubt that every inquiry would cost someone ten points, or at least not that I have read or heard about.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 26
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe that is bad info, or at least in my experience it is.  

Our experts may be able to answer this better, however every profile is different.  I know in my case, when I went from zero inquires to one, I was dinged about two or maybe three points.  When I added another one, there was no impact.  I suspect there would have been more of an impact if I would have added a third.  I think I have read about some people taking a five or so point hit for the first couple of inquiries, however again, I believe it varies profile to profile.  

If you added several within a month, as you mentioned, if they were all coded the same, such as shopping for a car loan or a mortgage, then they should only count as one inquiry, although they will each still show on your reports.  If they are shopping for credit credit cards or not coded as indicated above, then they each likely count on their own as a full inquiry.  

From the comment above, I seriously doubt that every inquiry would cost someone ten points, or at least not that I have read or heard about.  

Hi EW800, Thanks for your input. I think I'll take some hit but not sure if it is going to 50 points. I am not planning on applying for any more credit at least for next 6 months and by that time the impact of these inquires should reduce on my scores. Right now I am trying to get some baddies out of my report and also make settlements for some of the charge off accounts and hopefully that will also help my to make my scores go up. We will see what future brings.

Message 5 of 26
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

If I understand and remember correctly, the inquires will have an effect on credit scores for 12 months and they physically drop off the reports in 24 months. Am I correct or do they have a different effect on the calucation of credit scores? What is the total effect of inquires on the credit scores and for a 5 separate inquires in one month,  how much score drop can we anticipate?

The effect of inqueries is dependant on overall credit profile. Usually inqueries are also accompanied by new accounts which affects both AAoA(negatively) and Utilization(positively). The inquiry itself has a negative affect for 1 year as you stated, but it is decreasing the older it is, so an inquiry 1 month ago is more negative than an inquiry 6 months ago. It does drop off after 24 months as you thought. If you have a thick file, and long history the negative harm will be less than someone who has a thin file or short history.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not true.

Inquiries do not have a significant impact on your score.

The "new credit" category accounts for 10% of your score, and inquiries are one factor in that equation. The type of inquiry matters, too. If you're rate shopping for loans, you won't be penalized as much as if you apply for 10 credit cards, for example.

Recent inquiries (< 6 months) are typically considered by the lender themselves, regardless of their FICO impact.  The reason for this is that it can take up to 6 months for a new account to show up & lenders want to see if you can handle the new responsibilities you've already taken on with some history.

Message 7 of 26
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

A recent inquiry on my Experian report dinged me three points. This would have been the second Experian inquiry in four months, and it made for two total inquiries in two years. It's clear that the change came from the inquiry. The notification flew in immediately, and my report and score had been previously updated about two days prior.

As mentioned above, the effect of an inquiry is going to be different for every profile and every bureau.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not an accurate statement.  Not only can a blanket statement like this not be made since all credit profiles are different, but their are dramatically diminishing returns when it comes to inquiries... like difference between going from 0 to 2 is going to be more significant than going from 7 to 9, even though in both cases 2 inquiries were added.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

A recent inquiry on my Experian report dinged me three points. This would have been the second Experian inquiry in four months, and it made for two total inquiries in two years. It's clear that the change came from the inquiry. The notification flew in immediately, and my report and score had been previously updated about two days prior.

As mentioned above, the effect of an inquiry is going to be different for every profile and every bureau.

It's important to understand that algorithms aren't this simple and that your score may fluctuate up and down over time because of software updates and the like. While a score change may be carried by a notification, and that may have been your only change in some time, that doesn't necessarily mean the two are directly connected.

This also doesn't indicate that each inquiry will be worth 3 points. 30 inquiries on your profile may be worth 3 points. It's whether or not you are shopping for and receiving new credit, and how that fits into the rest of the risk model with the rest of your report.

I've also seen this on Experian (the three points down with 1 inquiry alert), and a month later it was back up 3 points. 

That being said, 3 points is a negligible change. It doesn't feel like that when you're trying to climb, of course, but it really is. When you are rebuilding your concern for 'credit shopping' should have NOTHING to do with the immediate impact on your score. It should be why you are shopping for credit, and whether or not you can handle that credit. I started building credit in Febrary of 2016 and I have a boat load (42) of inquiries that will drop off in a year, and another smaller boat load (20) the following year. I can still get credit - in fact, I just got an AMEX BCE, Chase Amazon, and NFCU CLOC accounts less than a month ago. My credit score has gone way up. In fact, the only issue I have in potentially obtaining credit at the moment (other than my still slightly below average scores), is with Chase because of their 5/24 rule. Not a single lender has batted an eye over my heavy inquiries as it's clear I was building a credit profile and then have used that credit very responsibly during the subsequent year.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.