Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of cancelling a card on my credit rating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effect of cancelling a card on my credit rating

I have two Amex cards, both showing the same "Member Since" inception date although one is relatively new.  If I cancel the older one will that affect the longevity portion of my credit score?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effect of cancelling a card on my credit rating

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two Amex cards, both showing the same "Member Since" inception date although one is relatively new.  If I cancel the older one will that affect the longevity portion of my credit score?

Welcome to MyFico.

No, it won't affect the AAoA (average age of accounts) that is a contributing factor in your credit score.  Closed accounts will continue to report on your file for 10 years.  Here is a link to a post about the effects of closing credit cards:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 2 of 4
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

General rule is closed accounts stay on your file 7 to 10 years.

However, Cap One stopped reporting a closed Best Buy charge card just 6 years after closure. It no longer shows on any of my CB reports.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Had closed a Macys account in Dec 12 (in good order) just got notified it was removed  from EQ, its still on TU and EX. EX seems to be the only CRA that will hold the closed positives for ten years and sometimes more.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.