Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of score drop on creditors

tag
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Effect of score drop on creditors

I am expecting a score drop next month since I had used my store cards and did not pay in full before the statement cut. Util is still low (<10%) on most (exept one, which is at 30%) and no late payments were incurred. I just let balances report. My score had a boost last month because a lot of my cards had $0 balances. Guess I got lazy this month, lol. Anyway, will this spook out my creditors (esp Amex and Discover)? I have always paid Amex in full before the due date, but I have only been with them for 3 months. Just wondering.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Effect of score drop on creditors

I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

You could see a scoring boost IIRC and I could be wrong didn't you app and Amex and as a result will be backdated?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

You could see a scoring boost IIRC and I could be wrong didn't you app and Amex and as a result will be backdated?

Yes, in fact that was why I got paranoid, lol.

I didn't want them to freak out that my score would drop shortly after approving me for my highest limit card. Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 4 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@aubie1kenobie2 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Yes, in fact that was why I got paranoid, lol.

I didn't want them to freak out that my score would drop shortly after approving me for my highest limit card. Smiley Tongue

Chances are you may see an increase in scores since AAoA will rise IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You would most likely make them happy, not spooked.

They like to see a balance carried, as it means interest $ in their pocket.

Their real concern is more likely whether a carried balance begins to indicate potential trouble.

When a carried balance gets high and/or is sustanined for a period of months, it might be an indication that the consumer is beginning to live more on credit, and thus may have future problems with monthly payments.

Major creditors use algorithms to initiate triggers of potential risk increases, of which high current balance is but one potential idicator.

If a carried balance is both high and contines for a number of months, it might trigger a review for a potential credit limit decrease.

I highy doubt that still being under 10% would trigger any concern.

They dont do monthly pulls of each consumer's credit report/score, and thus only their internal account records would come into play.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.