Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax 69 point drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax 69 point drop

How can it be ? 

All my reports are ALL the same. Nothing has changed as far as accounts, limits - anything. 

All the sudden I get a notification that my Equifax score dropped 69 points!! 

I did investigating, looked and looked and found nothing.  

I called Equifax because I couldn't stand it anymore and asked WHY ?? 

I've been disputing this item with them and I disputed it again. This woman from equifax tells me that because I disputed an item that it dropped my score. 

I can not believe that ! How can disputing an item on your credit report reflect your score in a negative way ?  I told her on myfico it dropped my score 69 points and she said that's not the score we have for you. 

I really don't give a crap, disputing an item shouldn't drop your score 5 points, shouldn't drop your score any points. 

Ive disputed many items before and have never heard of this or seen this reflect any of my reports ever before. 

I ended up writing the company because I was not getting anywhere with equifax and they just sent me a letter which stated they did have it wrong and the debt was not mine and will have it removed from my reports but yet equifax has claimed 3-4 disputes that this IS mine.  

Transunion removed it ; they stated it was not mine. 

Why would a dispute lower a credit score ???  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax 69 point drop

This woman from equifax tells me that because I disputed an item that it dropped my score. 

It's actually the opposite. While an item is in dispute, it isn't factored in to your score. Once the dispute concludes without a removal, it is factored in again. My guess is that is what happened here. The investigation completed, the dispute ended, and your score dropped when the neg was factored in again.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Captool, 

it is still under investigation. The day I disputed , my score dropped. 

My curiousity got me so I called and she did say dispute lower your score. I think that's ridiculous. 

What you say makes more sence other than if the results were not in my favor, wouldn't my score just go back to what it was prior to the dispute ? Not lower ? 

It isn't anything new on there that's negative. 

I also have a letter from the debt collection stating it was a mistake. I get mail at my address from various companies, collectors included to a person who lived here previously with a similar name as mine and this house was a foreclosure so I guess I can assume the poor guy was having financial problems unfortunatly. 

Message 3 of 5
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Is it possible that this tradeline may be an otherwise positive tradeline that you have had awhile (helping the age of your credit reporting), and without it factoring in due to the current dispute on it, that the score dropped?

I could be way off here, and maybe someone else can correct if I am, but it may be that disputing even a late on a positive account will cause it to not be factored while in dispute.

Otherwise, I got nothing :/

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

2b2 , 

Its a bad thing.. A medical collection for 75.00. 

I have tried this tiny pic but I can't get it to work on this IPad or I would screen shot it . I did just checked the dispute again to verify and it is under investigation. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.