Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax AND Experian: tax lien removal, score changes, notes

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Equifax AND Experian: tax lien removal, score changes, notes

Edit: Just got the Experian dispute results back - DELETED!

Winning!

Data is as good as I can get, had score confirmation that both FICO 8 and FICO 5 hadn't changed from the first datapoint as of end of last month July so this is probably very solid.  Experian data likewise, FICO 8 hadn't moved at all as of yesterday from a balance change update vs. when I did the full pull back in June preparing for this happy day haha.

The tax lien was the last bit of serious dirtiness on my report, so I'm now in a clean bucket.  Interestingly the reason codes between FICO 8 and FICO 5 are identical now on EQ, which is really strange as only FICO 9 is now complaining about installment utilization even though we know absolutely that it counts on clean FICO 8 files.  Ergo it's not in my top 4, if I didn't have the CFA though maybe it'd be on there.

Also CFA's, Equifax complaining on FICO 5 and FICO 8; but NOT on FICO 9.  Experian has the CFA tag also on FICO 2 and FICO 9 industry option, so presumably it is on all models algorithms and industry options in FICO 98, 04, 8, 9.

1 scoreable inquiry.

AAOA 42 months, aka 3.5 years.

Consumer Finance Account on file

AOYA, which is now listed as a problem in reason codes, 7 months ago so apparently no six months seasoning boundary.

Installment utilization 90%, is still listed on FICO 9 as a problem but not anywhere else.

Oh yeah, EQ and EX FICO 9 Classic: "Because your score is high, negative score factors present with your score are less relevant and therefore not provided." Smiley Happy

Ah hell, I'm kinda too giddy to type, if you have questions, feel free to ask, the win:

EQ Score6/25/178/5/17Change
FICO 873579560
FICO 8 AU73980970
FICO 8 BC74981970

FICO 569877173
FICO 5 AU68578095
FICO 5 BC71578469

FICO 979081929
FICO 9 AU78683145
FICO 9 BC78883042

Experian:

EX Score6/25/178/14/17ChangeNotes
FICO 873978647 
FICO 8 AU75378431 
FICO 8 BC75781558 

FICO 369372835 

FICO 271275846CFA
FICO 2 AU68676781 
FICO 2 BC71276048 

FICO 977580833 
FICO 9 AU77780730 
FICO 9 BC77681539CFA

        
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax: tax lien removal, score changes, notes

Rev, that is SOOOOO awesome!!! Congrats to you on the removal!! You really had a major score change as well. WOW!! Smiley Happy Im so excited for youSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:
Rev, that is SOOOOO awesome!!! Congrats to you on the removal!! You really had a major score change as well. WOW!! Smiley Happy Im so excited for youSmiley Happy

Grin I am still smiling about it a day later, wow was this a long time in coming.

        
Message 3 of 34
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Grin I am still smiling about it a day later, wow was this a long time in coming.

You HAVE been waiting  a long time!! What...6 yrs?? Did you just like sit back in your chair, and sigh a big relief?   LOL  Not that your tax lien showing stopped you from getting great approvals with majors lenders either though, lol.. Smiley Happy  Great data points as well, thank you for sharing Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you give as some details on the liens? Paid and released or open? State or Federal? Name, address, full SSI with DOB or something else?

Did you have to dispute them and if so how?

Thanks and congratualtions.

Message 5 of 34
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Woah DUDE!!!! Congrats!!! That took a long time. I feel for ya!

Hey buddy, I was in the same boat. My EX has been clean for years but TU and EQ had 2 State tax liens until they fell off TU about 2 months ago just leaving them on EQ.

I've been patiently waiting for August 1st to roll around to see if they would fall off EQ because of the new regs and then I was going to fight EQ with disputes if they didn't. August 1st rolls around and according to MyFICO they were still there because they were listed as the first score reasons. Checked MyFICO everyday and the results were the same even though I had credit updates that should have triggered new score reasons if they did fall off.

Yesterday I said to myself, "Well, we are just going to have to dispute these. I'm going to pull all my reports from annualcreditreport.com so that I'll have a good lay of the land so to speak."

And lo and behold the State tax liens were gone from all reports! I was doing the happy dance! Well...The happy dance was still in effect even though I found out that EQ has my mortgage listed twice so it shows me owing double my mortgage balance. (Hmmm..No wonder my EQ score was so difficult to move!) But really, the double mortgage listing should be an easy fix.

Nothing in my adult life has proved as difficult, time consuming and frustrating as working to get these State tax liens removed. I even hired a tax attorney and even he was frustrated with the problems. (I later learned that even though he practices in the State of Ohio that he has stopped taking cases like mine. He said it has just become too cumbersome a process without a guaranteed outcome.) These liens first appeared on my reports in 2006 and made getting credit in the years after that very difficult.

MyFICO still shows as my first reason code today: Public Records or Collection on Your Reports (I have neither anymore.)

Anyway...

Congrats again!!! You have been one of the best and well respected leaders on these forums. I learned a lot from your posts and am really glad everything has finally worked out for you.

I joined MyFICO on 3/22/2012 to specifically find out how to have these tax liens removed. I thought it would probably take a while, maybe two years tops. Here it is 5 1/2 years later and they only fell off because they changed the laws or they would still be on my reports.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 6 of 34
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Winning!

Data is as good as I can get, had score confirmation that both FICO 8 and FICO 5 hadn't changed from the first datapoint as of end of last month July so this is probably very solid.

The tax lien was the last bit of serious dirtiness on my report, so I'm now in a clean bucket.  Interestingly the reason codes between FICO 8 and FICO 5 are identical now, which is really strange as only FICO 9 is now complaining about installment utilization even though we know absolutely that it counts on clean FICO 8 files.  Ergo it's not in my top 4, if I didn't have the CFA though maybe it'd be on there.

Also CFA's, both FICO 5 and FICO 8; but NOT on FICO 9.  

Ah hell, I'm kinda too giddy to type, if you have questions, feel free to ask, the win:

FICO 873579560
FICO 8 AU73980970
FICO 8 BC74981970

FICO 569877173
FICO 5 AU68578095
FICO 5 BC71578469

FICO 979081929
FICO 9 AU78683145
FICO 9 BC78883042

Nice increases!

So do you think your FIco 8s are lower than Fico 9s due primarily to the CFAs? SJ has higher Fico 9s as well but no CFA. My Fico 9 enhanced scores almost always lag Fico 8 enhanced by a significant margin. Never figured out exactly why - but I do know some Fico 9 enhanced scores top out under 900.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 34
NRB525
Super Contributor

That's awesome! Congrats on the completion of a long journey. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you give as some details on the liens? Paid and released or open? State or Federal? Name, address, full SSI with DOB or something else?

Did you have to dispute them and if so how?

Thanks and congratualtions.

This was a Cali state tax lien, released, long since paid not that it matters heh.  I'm not entirely sure what LN was giving Equifax, I know TU had the wrong court docket number entirely and EQ has apparently two different docket ID's in their databases (I get a difference reference number on CK than I do on EQ directly, things that make you go hmmmm).  

I didn't go through the effort of pulling both records from the court, I was sort of ambivalent since it was coming off this year anyway and I had zero intention of applying for anything this year... my apologies it doesn't make it a fantastic path to resolution in terms of helping anyone else.

        
Message 9 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Winning!

Data is as good as I can get, had score confirmation that both FICO 8 and FICO 5 hadn't changed from the first datapoint as of end of last month July so this is probably very solid.

The tax lien was the last bit of serious dirtiness on my report, so I'm now in a clean bucket.  Interestingly the reason codes between FICO 8 and FICO 5 are identical now, which is really strange as only FICO 9 is now complaining about installment utilization even though we know absolutely that it counts on clean FICO 8 files.  Ergo it's not in my top 4, if I didn't have the CFA though maybe it'd be on there.

Also CFA's, both FICO 5 and FICO 8; but NOT on FICO 9.  

FICO 873579560
FICO 8 AU73980970
FICO 8 BC74981970

FICO 569877173
FICO 5 AU68578095
FICO 5 BC71578469

FICO 979081929
FICO 9 AU78683145
FICO 9 BC78883042

Nice increases!

So do you think your FIco 8s are lower than Fico 9s due primarily to the CFAs? SJ has higher Fico 9s as well but no CFA. My Fico 9 enhanced scores almost always lag Fico 8 enhanced by a significant margin. Never figured out exactly why - but I do know some Fico 9 enhanced scores top out under 900.

I think that may be part of it; CFA's may be anachronisms given the vastly increased numbers on people's reports (nearly 29 Billion dollars lent through Lending Club, that's got to be hundreds of thousands of consumer files alone) and in theory the more there are the less predictive they would be as a negative indicator?  It's a thought, score reason codes aren't the end all and be all but we know installment utilization is a thing (hell it factored on my dirty reports on FICO 8 even) but it's not there on my clean report for FICO 8 which suggests different scorecards assign different relative weights to things.  

It will be interesting to see if my EX distribution is similar; my FICO 9's though have always been pretty darned good so I had thought they were weighing recent information much more heavily than old information... that could be the case here too even, that CFA had an open date of 12/2011 and I paid it 7 months later.  Unfortunately we didn't have access to FICO 9 when I got that new Federal tax lien dropped on my account: I could clearly see that FICO 8 weighed recent data more heavily than FICO 5, but I don't know if FICO 9 furthered that trend.

Hard to say, datapoints around FICO 9 are so rare and the reason codes are pretty generic for clean files on my industry options.... and I'm more than a little disappointed that I don't get reason codes on FICO 9 Classic, ah well one less reason to pull the reports from here I guess.

Tangent, but have you seen a cutoff for industry option reason codes like we see in the base FICO 8 / FICO 9 for people with high scores?

        
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.