Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Score vs TransUnion Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Score vs TransUnion Score

I recently purchased the FICO Kit Platinum.

Equifax Score: 703

TransUnion Score: 814

Note: I am currently undergoing a dispute with Equifax on a delinqunecy which is bogus and should assist with greatly improving my score.  However, when comparing apples to apples, the following confuses me.

In the "Understanding Your FICO Score" section:

TransUnion states in GREEN:

You have an established credit history.

Your oldest account was opened
20 Years, 2 Months ago

FICO High Achievers [?] opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average.

Average age of your accounts
10 years

Most FICO High Achievers [?] have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years

Equifax states in RED:

You have a short credit history.

20 Years, 2 Months ago

11 years

Most FICO High Achievers [?] have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years

What am I missing?  How can one agency consider the same numbers to be bad and another consider it to be good?  How are we to satisfy the guidelines of both agencies in an effort to improve our scores?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me understand this difference

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equifax Score vs TransUnion Score

FICO is very complex. One component to scoring are scorecards or buckets. Basically you are grouped within a bucket and compared to those within that bucket. Picture college and that professor who grades on a scale. If you score 80% but have the best grade, then you basically aced it.

TU has placed you into a derogatory bucket. In other words, you have a delinquency 90 days or greater showing and could include a charge-off, collection, etc. (probably the one you disputed). It just so happens that out of everyone (millions and millions of people) who have a major derog, you just happen to have one of the oldest histories. Your AAoA and oldest account's age happens to be older than everyone else's, comparatively speaking.

Because this derog isn't on EQ, you are compared to others who have a pristine history. Most others have a longer and more solid history that you do and thus is a negative, again comparatively speaking. If you remove the derog on TU, your score will shoot up and then your history will be a negative factor. The only thing you can do is to let it age.
Message Edited by llecs on 05-18-2009 10:44 PM
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently purchased the FICO Kit Platinum.

Equifax Score: 703

TransUnion Score: 814

Note: I am currently undergoing a dispute with Equifax on a delinqunecy which is bogus and should assist with greatly improving my score.  However, when comparing apples to apples, the following confuses me.

In the "Understanding Your FICO Score" section:

TransUnion states in GREEN:

You have an established credit history.

20 Years, 2 Months ago

10 years

Equifax states in RED:

You have a short credit history.

20 Years, 2 Months ago

11 years

What am I missing?  How can one agency consider the same numbers to be bad and another consider it to be good?  How are we to satisfy the guidelines of both agencies in an effort to improve our scores?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me understand this difference

Based upon the limited info you posted, it appears that something is screwy with EQ.  At 20 plus years oldest account and 11 plus years on AAoA, you have an age that is GREAT compared to ANY bucket, regardless of all other factors. 

I would hold the TU and EQ side by side and go over each reported account with a fine tooth comb and see if you can identify anything that is different between your reported accounts on each report.  Note ANY differences in any dates, comments/remarks, status, etc.  Then post those.

Is the same "oldest account" reported on both reports?  TU showed 10 years average and EQ 11 years average.  Is there an account reported on one that is not on the other, or are the dates different between the two (on specific accounts)?

FICO is calculated based upon the Credit Report content data.  If that data is somehow not coded or categorized correctly, it can skew the score results.  This shoud NOT be a negative comment based upon the ages being reported.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for the information and advice.  I will do a side by side comparison and post the differences.  Again, I am going through a dispute with EQ on an account which does show on EQ but not TU as it was requested by the creditor 3 years ago to be deleted from my file.  EQ did not honor the removal obviously and therefore it has been showing on my report for 3 years without my knowledge.  TU did honor the removal 3 years ago. 

I guess it was just confusing why the delinquent account showing on EQ would affect the comments on age of my account and average age of accounts.  I wouldn't think the two would cross paths but I do not have deep insight into how the calculations work....that is why I am relying on you folks.

I will try to complete the comparison tonight and post the results.

Thank you

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.