cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax-You've absolutely got to be kidding me!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax-You've absolutely got to be kidding me!!

Btw an increase of 10075% does not mean it's reporting youre at 10075% of your credit limit it means that's how much you increased from you last report. I.e. A card that last reported $10 now reporting $100 would be a 1000% increase regardless of what the limit is. If you last reported $0 balance on that card you get these weird super high percentages sometimes because you can't divide by 0. The amount it increased does not in any way affect your score it's just info for you to know, the only thing that still matters is your actual util. The drop in your score is odd but before you start losing your mind trying to get these people to fix something that isn't broken I would take all of that into account and see if anything else could have caused the drop.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I resigned myself to the fact that my EQ is in constant PMS mode.Smiley Mad  EX and TU?  Minimal mood changes.Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 14
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Btw an increase of 10075% does not mean it's reporting youre at 10075% of your credit limit it means that's how much you increased from you last report. I.e. A card that last reported $10 now reporting $100 would be a 1000% increase regardless of what the limit is. If you last reported $0 balance on that card you get these weird super high percentages sometimes because you can't divide by 0. The amount it increased does not in any way affect your score it's just info for you to know, the only thing that still matters is your actual util. The drop in your score is odd but before you start losing your mind trying to get these people to fix something that isn't broken I would take all of that into account and see if anything else could have caused the drop.

I'm saddened that it took until page 2 for someone to point this out.  Thank you brclark82!

Additionally, it was not Equifax that came up with the 10075% number, so calling them was always going to be a waste of your time.

The alert came from MyFICO, and the text in it was generated by MyFICO.

1. BofA reported your $407 balance to Equifax
  2. Equifax reported the $407 balance to FICO
  3. MyFICO accessed your Equifax report on file with FICO, compared the current balance ($407) to the previous balance ($0), got a division by zero error and threw out the 10075% change.

The change percentage itself had no effect on your FICO score.  It's merely fluffy text generated by the MyFICO site.  Which is also why the division by zero errors have not been fixed.  They are meaningless fluff.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently, I got an alert from MyFico that my score went down because a loan was added to my account. Fine. I get that.

However, with Equifax, I was hit -16 points which according to the alerts from MyFico is also partly because my AMEX balance increased by 21% which translates to $9. Yeah, $9. From a balance of $42 to $51...

Like I said, I get taking a hit for the loan but neither Experian nor TransUnion dinged me for a $9 increase on my AMEX. No alerts stating that except for Equifax.

Similarly, my wife was also dinged on the Equifax score (she is an authorized AMEX user) but not on the other two agencies.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.