Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax & Transunion difference

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Equifax & Transunion difference

I recently pulled all three credit bureau reports & fico scores. I will leave Experian out because it does not have a fico score simulator. On the simulator with Equifax it looks at only the total amount of revolving debt. With Transunion the simulator looks at both revolving & installment accounts. If this still confuses everyone then try it out for your self.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Equifax & Transunion difference

There's something screwy with the TU sim. On mine, it includes my HELOC balance with my true revolving balance, although it definitely does not include installment. On the TU report itself, it has some wacko util figure that I can't duplicate.

I don't think that our scores are being figured this way, though. I think it's just some sort of error in how the data displays when the TU info moves over to myFICO. Sort of like how you don't get the pretty green squares on TC for EQ. (And yellow, and orange, and red... Smiley Tongue )
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
There's something screwy with the TU sim. On mine, it includes my HELOC balance with my true revolving balance, although it definitely does not include installment. On the TU report itself, it has some wacko util figure that I can't duplicate.

I don't think that our scores are being figured this way, though. I think it's just some sort of error in how the data displays when the TU info moves over to myFICO. Sort of like how you don't get the pretty green squares on TC for EQ. (And yellow, and orange, and red... Smiley Tongue )

I would imagine you are right about the scores themselves being correct but why can't they get the details correct?
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It seems that a lot of times when things display oddly on a secondary report (= TC, myFICO, etc), it's because of the way that they are coded on the original, and how they map over to the data fields on the other reports. If they have the wrong code, they travel to the wrong place, and if the mapping isn't done correctly, they show up in the wrong place.

There--I have now displayed the totality of my understanding on how data reports as it's moved around! Smiley Very Happy

edit: meant to add, when in doubt, blame the programmers. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 06-15-2008 10:02 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Hauling, I share your confusion on how the sims deal with HELOCs.  In the FICO webinars, FairIsaac states that a HELOC is never scored in their model as revolving debt, even though some CRAs list it as such.  I would like to see some clarifiaction on this.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.