Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax increase with no apparent reason

tag
nycfico
Regular Contributor

Equifax increase with no apparent reason

I've been micromanaging my Fico scores for about ten months.  I get several (four to seven) or so Scorewatch alerts each month on average...given I'm doing a lot of cleanup.

Until now, alerts have always coincided with some kind of change (balance increase, deletion of late payments etc).  Today, though I received a five point increase (from 619 to 624), with no corresponding change.  Anybody know how or why that might happen?  Can scores just move up or down with no other events associated?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equifax increase with no apparent reason

@nycfico wrote:

I've been micromanaging my Fico scores for about ten months.  I get several (four to seven) or so Scorewatch alerts each month on average...given I'm doing a lot of cleanup.

Until now, alerts have always coincided with some kind of change (balance increase, deletion of late payments etc).  Today, though I received a five point increase (from 619 to 624), with no corresponding change.  Anybody know how or why that might happen?  Can scores just move up or down with no other events associated?

LOTS of things can make small changes like that.... two that I have seen personally are...

1.  Inquiries falling outside of the 1 year mark

2.  New credit accounts that hit the 2  years mark (I saw about a 5pt increase)

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 2 of 6
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

@nycfico wrote:

I've been doing the same as you and saw some rather strange things making my score go up and down. I actually had my EX score go UP by one point from an inquiry! But one thing I can confirm, it is good to keep your balances reporting ZERO. I had my Cap1 balance go from $8 to reporting and got a Balance Decrease alert shoing my score went up 13 points just because of that!

EX - 751 EQ - 732 TU - 752
Over $200k in revolving credit lines
10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 3 of 6
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

$8 to reporting ZERO. sorry

EX - 751 EQ - 732 TU - 752
Over $200k in revolving credit lines
10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happen to my a couple of days ago it increase 22pt and now it increase 7 pt...I didnt have any thing change in my report. not complainting but just curious as well. im a happy camper.

Message 5 of 6
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It happen to my a couple of days ago it increase 22pt and now it increase 7 pt...I didnt have any thing change in my report. not complainting but just curious as well. im a happy camper.

well, I just paid all of my CCs to zero.... all should report here within the next two weeks.... so I'll let you guys know what happens!!  I've kept small balances on them... but went to zero this month (except the one, like recommended)..... should be interesting!  Smiley Happy   Fingers crossed it gives me SOMETHING!! I'm working with my mortgage company now, trying to squeek out as many points as possible in the next 30 days, hoping for at least 17, which would be put me at a mid-score of 700.... which in the world of mortgages seems to be the lucky number Smiley Happy 

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.