cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax just told me to stop using this site to pull my score?

tag
Thammer
New Contributor

Equifax just told me to stop using this site to pull my score?

Long story short I was trying to get some dispute comments removed from a couple of trade lines because my wife and I are about to go into underwriting for a house we're trying to buy. While on the phone with Equifax the lady told me she noticed I had several inquiries from myfico and that I should stop pulling my credit or I'd lower my score. I said that I understand it from this site that pulling my own credit is a soft inquiry and wont hurt anything. She advised me that it showed up as a hard pull on her end and that it caused my score to drop a few points. I know this is obviously wrong, but why on earth would she tell me that?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equifax just told me to stop using this site to pull my score?

@Thammer wrote:

Long story short I was trying to get some dispute comments removed from a couple of trade lines because my wife and I are about to go into underwriting for a house we're trying to buy. While on the phone with Equifax the lady told me she noticed I had several inquiries from myfico and that I should stop pulling my credit or I'd lower my score. I said that I understand it from this site that pulling my own credit is a soft inquiry and wont hurt anything. She advised me that it showed up as a hard pull on her end and that it caused my score to drop a few points. I know this is obviously wrong, but why on earth would she tell me that?

Smiley Very Happy  This must be the same Equifax CSR that told a couple of posters on here that myFICO doesn't offer FICO scores. I'd have to dig up the posts, but it really happened.

Message 2 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Or the one that said they drop your score for any dispute.

It is very scary knowing what they don't know, yet they control our CR.

Message 3 of 14
dethkultur
Contributor

Before buying in too much, you should realize MyFICO only sells one FICO score, while creditors use 46 other FICO scores. They are all called FICO, and it's a regular occurence for people to report that their bank, credit card, etc, is telling them a different Equifax FICO score than is reported here (and it always seems to be lower.) MyFICO makes no guarantees that the score you see here is the same score Equifax will send to your potential creditors. All that said, there's a bias against FAKO that you get on credit karma, but the score you get here is worth about as much. 

Message 4 of 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Thammer wrote:

She is, of course, wrong.  She is, of course, trying to sell something...and that would be an Equifax product!  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@dethkultur wrote:

Before buying in too much, you should realize MyFICO only sells one FICO score, while creditors use 46 other FICO scores. They are all called FICO, and it's a regular occurence for people to report that their bank, credit card, etc, is telling them a different Equifax FICO score than is reported here (and it always seems to be lower.) MyFICO makes no guarantees that the score you see here is the same score Equifax will send to your potential creditors. All that said, there's a bias against FAKO that you get on credit karma, but the score you get here is worth about as much. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Best-Accurate-Credit-Score/td-p/2160165

Same exact statement the same in both cases? Not sure where the statement about bias against FAKO would be applicable to this OP's statement, since the issue was not with a FAKO.

Message 6 of 14
dethkultur
Contributor

Yes, people need to know, because MyFICO implies there's just one score for EQ, and you can get it here. The EQ FICO that goes to creditors has never been the same when I've seen it.

I was responding to Ilecs (I messed it up obviously, as it didn't include the text), who was implying that MyFICO had some sort of authoritywith their scores to the OP. The truth is, it's as reliable as free versions.

I paid for Scorewatch for 2+ years before finding this out, constantly believing I was seeing what creditors see, partly because that is the message given in the forums here by frequent posters. I'm going to keep this up from time to time, so yes, I'll be on different threads like yourself, informing visitors about the product, like yourself. If MyFICO changes their marketing to tell the truth about the FICO score they sell, and inform all the paid posters here to do the same, I won't have a need to do so any longer.

Message 7 of 14
kaymom
Contributor

The rep at EQ told me the same thing. But, I have had my scores pulled by mortgage lender and they matched up with myFICO. I only had one problem with the scores not matching and that's when I applied for a personal loan. Their score was 20+ points more than myFICO. I assumed that they used a different modeling system or something.

A Fresh Start
Message 8 of 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@dethkultur wrote:

Yes, people need to know, because MyFICO implies there's just one score for EQ, and you can get it here. The EQ FICO that goes to creditors has never been the same when I've seen it.

I was responding to Ilecs (I messed it up obviously, as it didn't include the text), who was implying that MyFICO had some sort of authoritywith their scores to the OP. The truth is, it's as reliable as free versions.

I paid for Scorewatch for 2+ years before finding this out, constantly believing I was seeing what creditors see, partly because that is the message given in the forums here by frequent posters. I'm going to keep this up from time to time, so yes, I'll be on different threads like yourself, informing visitors about the product, like yourself. If MyFICO changes their marketing to tell the truth about the FICO score they sell, and inform all the paid posters here to do the same, I won't have a need to do so any longer.

You and the OP may find this useful:

Credit Scoring 101:
The Son Of Credit Scoring 101

Message 9 of 14
dethkultur
Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@dethkultur wrote:

You and the OP may find this useful:

Credit Scoring 101:
The Son Of Credit Scoring 101

Not useful at all... that thread needs to say explicitly there are 47 FICO scores, and you can only get one here, and nobody knows who uses it. MyFICO makes no guarantees that their FICO score has anything to do with what is sent by Equifax to lenders. I mean it says at the top you can get ScoreWatch to know your "current EQ FICO score."  That needs some serious clarification, and you know that.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.