Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax reporting FICO score 30 points lower then Transunion and Experian

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax reporting FICO score 30 points lower then Transunion and Experian

I pulled all three reports from MyFICO.com and Equifax is showing a credit score 30 points lower then the other two.  All reports appear to be reporting the same information so I called the FICO help line.  They said the "reason codes" are different for Equifax and there was nothing I could do.  They said I can't argue the reason codes or my score.  Any ideas?  My lender only cares about Equifax and this is costing me $$$. 

Thanks!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax reporting FICO score 30 points lower then Transunion and Experian

All three CRAs use a different a version of the formula and give different scores.  30 is a pretty small difference to be honest.

What are the scores and what lender is causing problems?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

All 3 CRAs use a different version of the FICO formula which, even with an identical report, would have different scores.

I'd figure out what's good and bad on EQ and use them as a basis for bring up your scores.

Also look at the 3 reports side-by-side. If you were to pull them on the same day, and the scores are different, there could be subtle differences (e.g. avg acct age, utilization, acct status, lates, etc.) that could also offset the scores. However, 30 points is not that much (relatively speaking).
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two reporting 720 and one reporting 690.  The 690 is giving me problems because it is throwing me into the higher interest rate bracket.  I am going to talk to my lender and see if maybe they will blend the scores.  Worth a try!!

Thanks for your reply.  I didn't realize that this variation is typical.  Still trying to understand the game!!
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you need a quick mini-rise in your scores, do a search here for posts on timing your CC payments to hit before the statement drops. This usually results in a lower amount reporting to the CRA's, and if the change is big enough, you should pick up some points for lower utilization. (Depends on where you start from, though.) It will take a full billing cycle for all the accounts to post with lower or zero balances. Make sure at least one CC reports a balance though, Believe it or not, you lose score points for not using your cards at all. Smiley Tongue

BTW, my EQ is always lower than the other two. EQ is particularly cranky about lates, and I get penalized for past late-but-paid sins. This is true of my youngest daughter as well.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Still trying to understand the game

Sonja...........don't even try. There is no human being on this planet that understands the scoring system. 
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.