Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax reporting problems

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax reporting problems

Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone else has noticed Equifax reporting problems lately. There are a few of my credit card accounts and one installment loan that are not showing on Equifax, but have been showing fine on Experian and Trans Union.

I know that Equifax is a pain, but some of these accounts were opened in August and October so there should be no issues with reporting.

On one of the accounts (installment), I contacted the lender (Alliant) two separate times and they promised it was reporting fine to Equifax, and that they spoke directly with a manager at Equifax just to make sure. Now it is missing again.

Some of the currently active, open accounts appear to have reported initially but were totally removed since. In other words, the account is not showing up at all, so there is nothing to dispute directly with Equifax. I've been contacting the lenders directly to fix it.

Since it has happened before that an account appears on Equifax and then disappears, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same recent experience with Equifax.

I shouldn't have to take the time (nor do I have the time) to pull Equifax every single month to ensure that every single current account is showing up.

It is happening to accounts both with balances and those without balances, so no rhyme or reason there.

Accounts that are reporting are reporting correctly. It just seems that there are 3 or 4 ghost accounts that appear once or twice and then vanish.

Lenders include Discover, Bank of America and Alliant. I could see if one of them were Synchrony or something odd like that, but not so.

I know it is an issue on Equifax's end since both Experian and Trans Union are reporting normally; I just can't figure out why it is happening.

One of the bizarre things that is happening is that one of my DIscover accounts is reporting and the other one is not showing up at all. So I doubt that it's an issue on Discover's end of the situation. I did contact Discover in any event and asked them to send an update for both accounts.

Would definitely like to know if anyone has experienced something similar recently with Equifax.

Thanks very much!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax reporting problems

I have not had any problems with Equifax recently, or ever really.

The bulk of the inconsistencies I've seen with my reports have been with TransUnion, mostly around the summer of last year.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a lot of problems recently with Equifax splitting my file. Updates went to these other files and it was a huge pain to get it all back to one, since they do not have any call centers in the US and there was a huge language barrier trying to communicate what was happening to the agents.

I would recommend you get on letter head from your account holders that they have been reporting to equifax since xx/xx/xxxx and every statement dating back to those start dates. Express that you believe you have a split file and that these accounts are missing from the file you have access to. Ask them to please include the information that your creditors are paying to furnish to your report so that it is complete and accurate.

I would mail them something with certified mail so you have a paper trail to prepare for a possible complaint.

Freeze your report and do not pull any backdoor reports until it is fixed. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax seems to be the absolute worst of the three bureaus. Discover sent an update on both accounts, and I can see in looking at Equifax that a report was updated on 3/13/2017.

The problem is, Equifax is only showing my regular Discover it account and the Miles account is nowhere to be seen. So even after DIscover sends the update, the Miles account is still a ghost and is showing nowhere on Equifax.

I could see having a split file if I had name or address changes - but have had the same address and personal information for 12 years. There is nowhere else for the information to go when Discover sends it.

I'm have a supervisor at Discover look into this situation. BoA Alaska and Chase Fairmont accounts are still not showing up at all on Equifax either, and I've had Alaska since October. It's a $29,000 CL and not ok for it not to show at all on my report!

Chase just did a regular update on 3/13/2017 and my Hyatt, AARP, and IHG accounts are showing just fine on Equifax. Fairmont is totally missing. Yay.

Of course Trans Union and Experian are showing all of the accounts just fine and have been since the accounts were first reported.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax seems to be the absolute worst of the three bureaus. Discover sent an update on both accounts, and I can see in looking at Equifax that a report was updated on 3/13/2017.

The problem is, Equifax is only showing my regular Discover it account and the Miles account is nowhere to be seen. So even after DIscover sends the update, the Miles account is still a ghost and is showing nowhere on Equifax.

I could see having a split file if I had name or address changes - but have had the same address and personal information for 12 years. There is nowhere else for the information to go when Discover sends it.

I'm have a supervisor at Discover look into this situation. BoA Alaska and Chase Fairmont accounts are still not showing up at all on Equifax either, and I've had Alaska since October. It's a $29,000 CL and not ok for it not to show at all on my report!

Chase just did a regular update on 3/13/2017 and my Hyatt, AARP, and IHG accounts are showing just fine on Equifax. Fairmont is totally missing. Yay.

Of course Trans Union and Experian are showing all of the accounts just fine and have been since the accounts were first reported.

I did not move or have a name change. I have had the same address for a year. My file still split in February for no discernable reason, other than that I pull a backdoor report (through my membership) every morning.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had huge problems with EQ!!!!

For a month, my reports could not be updated, except for a couple of days during that time. EQ could not update the reports either. 

then an rep said that the SP buffer needed to be flushed. Apparently, if you update your report daily, which they advertise you can do, it screws something up.

so when this was "fixed", my score dropped 39 points in a matter of a few days. Every time a balance decreased, the points dropped. The last drop was a 6 point drop after a credit card balance decreased $10. My utilization was 3%.

After a careful examination of my closed accounts, I found that about 15 or so closed accounts had been deleted. All had been in good standing and reported as never late and paid as agreed. by deleting them, it now appears that my percentage of new accounts is higher than EQ likes, among other things. It also has cut short my payment history. None of these accounts was at the 10 year mark when they fall off a report.

But what's most disturbing is that a 21 point drop occurred after one .... yes, one .... inquiry for a requested CLI on an existing CC. All other drops were associated with decreasing balances.

On top of all this, I've been going round and round with them about the inaccuracy of the way they are reporting my mortgage. I've had this mortgage for almost 20 years. It's been paid on time and in full every single month for the past 20 years. Yet EQ shows it as closed with a balance of zero. "Insufficient information about my mortgage" is listed as a factor that is having a negative impact on my credit score. Trying to talk to these people is beyond frustrating, as they generally do not seem to fully grasp what you are trying to explain to them. I've contacted my mortgage company 3 times and they say they have been reporting to EQ. EQ responds to my disputes by claiming that the lender has verified that their information is correct. Not really sure which part of the information EQ is asking be verified (and I suspect they are not fully communicating properly to the lender), but whatever it is, it hasn't led to my report being corrected.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, there is a problem wirh Equifax reporting. I'm also having problems with them, see my thread below: There needs to be some kind of suit aggainst Equifax. I can't even apply for credit with a company that pulls Equifax because my score is so low, because of them not reporting my accounts

.http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/How-Do-I-Get-Equifax-TO-Report-MY-Newly-O...

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Treasurecredit, how can I join my previous post to the thread you give in yours? My issues seem to belong in that thread.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Treasurecredit, how can I join my previous post to the thread you give in yours? My issues seem to belong in that thread.

I don't know if you can join the threads, but you can post a link to your thread in my thread, by copying and pasting the link to your thread.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having issues as well.  I have disputed an address that is not mine (mom's) at least four times and they always come back as deleted, but it's still there.  I also disputed my student loans after default and the comments were corrected, but some said that the payment history was to be deleted, but when I looked the history was still there.  So now I am on a second round of disputes and when I look at my report now the payment history has been corrected, but that stupid address is still there!  In the long run, the address isn't a big deal, but that landlord was crazy and I want no mention of having lived there (since I didn't) on my credit report.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.