Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax says I have a high debt ratio but it's only 16%

tag
daniki
New Contributor

Equifax says I have a high debt ratio but it's only 16%

I checked my scores on myFICO for Transunion and Equifax last night. I was pleasantly surprised that TU was 738 and EQ was 729 - not excellent but good enough for me considering I had a 90-day late payment 2 years ago. After reading thru these forums, I thought having below 25% or 30% debt was considered pretty good. I have about 10k of credit and only owe a little over $1500 - all  spread out on different cards. Equifax says that 16% debt  was considered high credit useage and it may be affecting my score. Transunion didn't say this. Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax says I have a high debt ratio but it's only 16%

Most people here will agree that anything below 9% is considered a good util percentage, above that threshold and you may lose points.

Message 2 of 3
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax says I have a high debt ratio but it's only 16%

It's fair to say that the less your utilization is (except zero), the more it increases your score. EQ and TU though, I've read, use FICO formulas that are not entirely identical.

People's priorities are different. Mine is to increase my score, so my util is at 1%, which works well for me. I spend far more than 1% of my util, but pay it off before the statement cut.

I leave the 1% on one and the same card every month. An automatic payment in full takes care of the due date for that.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.