cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax scores showing differently on TU, EQ, CK?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax scores showing differently on TU, EQ, CK?

I have a credit monitoring subscription at TransUnion that monitors my TU scores and report.

Today I signed up for Equifax's free trial for credit monitoring. I also signed up for CreditKarma.

When I refreshed my credit file on all three sources, my scores from each bureau varied by up to a couple of HUNDRED points for the same CRA.. how could this be?

CreditKarma says my Equifax score is 200 points higher than what Equifax's website is showing me.. Also, when I'm logged into Equifax's site, my TransUnion score is 200 points LESS than what I am seeing when logged into the actual TransUnion website.

How is this possible? The spread of inaccuracy would severely impact my ability to apply for new credit IMO.

CreditKarma and Equifax both say "Equifax score as of 08/07/2015" but the 200 point difference is ridiculous. Obviously one of them is wrong?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax scores showing differently on TU, EQ, CK?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a credit monitoring subscription at TransUnion that monitors my TU scores and report.

Today I signed up for Equifax's free trial for credit monitoring. I also signed up for CreditKarma.

When I refreshed my credit file on all three sources, my scores from each bureau varied by up to a couple of HUNDRED points for the same CRA.. how could this be?

CreditKarma says my Equifax score is 200 points higher than what Equifax's website is showing me.. Also, when I'm logged into Equifax's site, my TransUnion score is 200 points LESS than what I am seeing when logged into the actual TransUnion website.

How is this possible? The spread of inaccuracy would severely impact my ability to apply for new credit IMO.

CreditKarma and Equifax both say "Equifax score as of 08/07/2015" but the 200 point difference is ridiculous. Obviously one of them is wrong?

Thanks

So im guessing you did not see that none of these are real scoring models? Like the fico scores here at fico. Credit Karma uses. Vantage Score 3.0.  for both transunion and Equifax. Useless score.

Equifax uses some kind of Equifax plus score. Also useless. If you really want to see your score there. when you log into equifax. Click and pay for your Fico score which is your scores used by lenders. It will cost you about 25 bucks. That is your real score. anything else is just for entertainment purposes. or as they say. Educational purposes and may not. should say will not . Be used by lenders.

Message 2 of 7
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

That amount of score difference is not model related. Although both summaries may say "as of 8/7/2015" the CRA data may be from different points in time. I think credit Karma pulls from an older data set - I had an inquiry clear off my EQ file early June. It showed clear when I pulled reports/scores directly from EQ and myFico but 7/28 but still showed on my EQ summary from CK.

Generally that type of change relates to a serious Derog being in one file but not another. You should be able to dig into details.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

That amount of score difference is not model related. Although both summaries may say "as of 8/7/2015" the CRA data may be from different points in time. I think credit Karma pulls from an older data set - I had an inquiry clear off my EQ file early June. It showed clear when I pulled reports/scores directly from EQ and myFico but 7/28 but still showed on my EQ summary from CK.

Generally that type of change relates to a serious Derog being in one file but not another. You should be able to dig into details.

Comparing VS with educational scores is absolutely 200 points model difference possible.

Not sure where you're getting CK's using outdated information based on that experience, CK's better for tracking changes on TU for me than MF is these days, and it's close on EQ too.  If you're talking two FICO scores, yeah I'd agree 200 points would be something is different in the files; but when we're talking radically different scores there's bound to be some major differences incuding they may not even be scored out of the same 300-850 range we all know and love.  

I'm pretty certain my TU New Accounts score is still around a 650, whereas my Vantage is a 760+ even after the relative beating I've given my reports lately; more extreme examples can be found.

        
Message 4 of 7
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Revelate,

A 200 point difference among models (Fico 8, Fico 4 and VS 3.0) - 300 to 850 range seems highly improbable. A 100 point difference no problem. It appears that something else is in play with the large reported score differences.

As mentioned in other posts, I did get a VS 2.0 score back in June direct from TU when I pulled a report + score. VS 2.0 is in a different ballpark with that 501 to 990 range. It can easily be 200 points higher than other scores.

Shown below are "worst case" model score differences I have experienced  (same point in time).

1) Difference between VS 2.0 and VS 3.0:  VS 2.0 990 - VS 3.0 830 =     160 points  (current diff = 160)

2) Difference between VS 2.0 and Fico 4:   VS 2.0 990 - EQ 04 765 =      225 points  (current diff = 181)

3) Difference between VS 2.0 and Fico 8:   VS 2.0 990 - Fico 8 850 =      140 points  (current diff = 140)

4) Difference between VS 3.0 and Fico 4:   VS 3.0 830 - EQ 04 796 =        34 points  (current diff =   21)

5) Difference between VS 3.0 and Fico 8:   Fico 8  850 - VS 3.0 830 =       20 points  (current diff =   20)

6) Difference between Fico 8 and Fico 4:    Fico 8  850 - EQ Fico 4 765 =  85 points  (current diff =   41)

I have seen a few other 3B scores posted this week - I don't recall the classic scores showing more than a 60 point spread among CBs or between Fico 4 and Fico 8 but I was not paying attention to those details at the time. I will take another look see.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

From their description they did not get ScorePower / ScoreWatch from EQ.

I would agree with you when we are talking FICO 4 vs FICO 8; however when you toss the educational score in there, 100-200 point swings are absolutely possible.

        
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all, so what I gather is that by signing up for either TU, EQ or EX's credit score/monitoring service I am not seeing the actual score seen by lenders.. to find that, I would need to order my official FICO score from here on MyFICO. Is that accurate? Then I would be able to see the true score a lender would see.

News to me.. I signed up for MyFico a couple of days ago and love the intuitiveness of the interface.. much more informational that what I was seeing at TU or EQ. Also if the information is accurate, that is good to know.. I'll be swiftly canceling my service at TU and EQ in that case.

For the record, my scores for all three bureaus as seen here on MyFICO seem to be MUCH more in line with my real score / what I was expecting.

P.S. there were no derogs on any of the reports that were not on another-- all reports were identical but the 200 point difference was still there.. likely just because different scoring models were being used on the same data.. either way I should be OK now!

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.