Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax struggle!

tag
JimmyWayne
New Contributor

Equifax struggle!

I don't understand why my EQ keeps dropping. I brought my utilization down to 5% from 15% and my EQ DROPPED 12 points because of it. My EX and TU rose about 10 points each. 

Last week i had one of 3 collections fall off my reports. Again, TU and EX rise while EQ didn't change at all. I had a tax lien removed from EQ, still won't budge. Nothing I do helps my EQ score. It just keeps dropping. 

CapOne QS1 $1.2k | Chase Freedom $3.5k | Discover $2.9k | Amex Everyday $3k | Amex PRG | Amazon Store $6k | Barclays Apple Rewards $2.9k | Regions Life $2.5k | Lexus Pursuits $3.3k | PayPal MC $8k | CSP $5k | WF CashWise $2k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax struggle!

Have you looked at age of accounts or number of inq?  The best thing to do it compare all three side by side.  Make sure they are all the same ie FICo 8.  Not all credit reports pick up the same data.  My TU picks up a very old J C Penney card that raises my TU Age of accounts by over 10  years.   

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Do you have other subtle changes in your report, such as a creditor upating their unpaid account that shows a charge-off, or a debt collector updating their collection?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm have real problems with EQ. For about a month I was unable to update my online report.

i called and complained, and they basically said they didn't understand why the problem was occurring, but they were working on it.

meanwhile, I applied for a CLI with one of my CC and was told they couldn't process the request, because they couldn't pull my EQ report.

i asked if, perhaps, they could pull from one of the other CAs and explained the problem with my EQ account being down more than it was up for a month!

her supervisor came on the line and said they had to use EQ and she was going to call them herself. I reiterated about my having contacted them numerous times.

she explained that she knew "somebody" at EQ and it would be fixed in 24,hours. I couldn't understand how she could perform that magic, but thought, well, OK.

24 hours later, my account was fixed and she pulled my report. Guess someone at EQ was pissed at me cuz my score took a 36 point drop! Then I paid down one of my cards a lot. Both TU and EX scores went up, but EQ went down. Are there some bodies at EQ who are free to monkey with the scores or is there just something bass-ackwards about The EQ model itself?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is nothing personal at Equifax. IMO Eq thinks they are always right and you wrong and are in a race to see how long it takes to fix one of the errors.  I have had to complain to the cfpb abut them I also caugh them in a lie to the cfpb.  They fixed everything when they were looking at some serious penalties.   

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimmyWayne wrote:

I don't understand why my EQ keeps dropping. I brought my utilization down to 5% from 15% and my EQ DROPPED 12 points because of it. My EX and TU rose about 10 points each. 

I can assure you with 100% certainty that your EQ score did not drop 12 points because you paid utilization down from 15% to 5%.  I have no doubt that you paid down your utilization and also noticed that your EQ score dropped, but it is completely impossible that these two events are related to one another.  Your score drop came from something else.  What's more, I can assure you that if you indeed drop your utilization from 15% to 5%, that would have resulted in a score boost, say 15 points.  So, if you're seeing a 12 point drop, that's actually a 27 point swing, so you're looking for an event that could potentially drop your score 25-30 points or so, give or take.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case, the reporting that is for my reports is pretty much the same across all three bureaus, I even have the same number of inquiries for all 3. The only major difference is, i can't get EQ to accept the fact that I have a mortgage that I am paying on and have been for almost 20 years! They list my mortgage as a closed account and say that lack of information about my mortgage is hurting my score. (Why should lack of information on a "closed account" have a negative impact on your score?)  But  when I paid my balance down to 3% from 14%, they gave me a drop while TU and EX gave me an increase. This is not the first time I've seen EQ scoring behave much differently from TU and EX.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you paid the balance down to 3%, is that when the mortgage showed as "closed" on the one bureau you're referencing?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the mortgage has shown closed from the day I took out a membership with EQ, which was months beforehand.

don't know how it was recorded before I began my membership. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.