Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exactly 10% utilization or under 10% Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly 10% utilization or under 10% Help

Hi.. Has anyone seen a credit score increase from bringing their untilization from around 12% to exactly 10% across all cards?  My current utilization is 12% across all cards and Im thinking I should bring it to exactly 10%, however I don't want to make a payment if Im not going to get any extra points.  I have a JCP card thats at a 0 balance with $2600 credit limit, and I have a Capital One card, where the last statement balance was $769 with a limit of $6500, however I made a $420 payment yesterday, so when the statement cuts tomorrow the new balance will be $550 on a $6500.  (Im in the middle of a mortgage and trying to get the most points this month)

current scores

TU 648

EQ669

EX659

4 REPLIES 4
sstarks

Re: Exactly 10% utilization or under 10% Help

From what I have read on here 2 cards with $0 balance and 1 card with 1-9% UTI will make your score go up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's for  maximum score optimization.  Your scores can go up a point at time,  maybe more,   if all three of your cards are at 29% or even higher,  just not as fast.  This is where taking something literal makes everyone want huge credit limit and build pyramids.  

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your scores are in the mid 600 with perfect utilization,  something else is going wrong my CareCredit is  75%, amex 40%, overstock 30ish etc and I'm in the low 700s tu,  698 eq 670 ex.  Paying everything off is not the Magic Bullet when you have bad marks showing

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi.. Has anyone seen a credit score increase from bringing their untilization from around 12% to exactly 10% across all cards?  My current utilization is 12% across all cards and Im thinking I should bring it to exactly 10%, however I don't want to make a payment if Im not going to get any extra points.  I have a JCP card thats at a 0 balance with $2600 credit limit, and I have a Capital One card, where the last statement balance was $769 with a limit of $6500, however I made a $420 payment yesterday, so when the statement cuts tomorrow the new balance will be $550 on a $6500.  (Im in the middle of a mortgage and trying to get the most points this month)

current scores

TU 648

EQ669

EX659

FICO has many different scoring models.  The models used for mortgages like it VERY much if you can show that almost all your credit cards are showing a $0 balance, with one card showing a positive balance.  And all FICO models like it when your total utilization (all cards counted together) is at < 8.99%.  10% is too high for optimal scoring.

Given that you are in a huge time crunch, the best thing to do is to create as many $0 balances as you can (but keeping one card reporting a positive amount).  If you do that, it sounds like your total utilization will naturally fall into being < 8.9%.  If it gets even lower, that is fine too, as long as there is one card with at least $5 on it.

PS.  The remaining card should also be < 29% for individual utilization too, but it sounds like that may already be the case.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.