cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanded "FICO High Achievers" (scores of 760 and above) characteristics list

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Expanded "FICO High Achievers" (scores of 760 and above) characteristics list

Or even: Smiley Tongue !

Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 31 of 474
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Expanded "FICO High Achievers" (scores of 760 and above) characteristics list

for the 5k balance Q, dont forget that financially responsible people are more are less likely to jump into a big purchase (such as a car) unprepared, I will use my latest car loan as an example: in May 2006, we decide to upgrade my wife's car, so we opened what we called a car saving acct, by Dec 06 we had 9k ready in it for the car down payment. the car we chose, had a price tag of 22k(being financially consrervitive also means no crazy 50k suv for us), so we put down the 9k and after taxes and all we had to finance about 15k, next was the payments: by the time this loan hit my credit report( took 2 months) I already paid down the balance to 13k, now 12 months later, the balance is indeed under 5k, so the way I see it, high FICO is another factor in being financially responsible and theirfore not jumping into big debts if you can avoid it.

Message Edited by mkatan on 01-06-2008 06:04 AM
Message 32 of 474
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
for the 5k balance Q, dont forget that financially responsible people are more are less likely to jump into a big purchase (such as a car) unprepared, I will use my latest car loan as an example: in May 2006, we decide to upgrade my wife's car, so we opened what we called a car saving acct, by Dec 06 we had 9k ready in it for the car down payment. the car we chose, had a price tag of 22k(being financially consrervitive also means no crazy 50k suv for us), so we put down the 9k and after taxes and all we had to finance about 15k, next was the payments: by the time this loan hit my credit report( took 2 months) I already paid down the balance to 13k, now 12 months later, the balance is indeed under 5k, so the way I see it, high FICO is another factor in being financially responsible and theirfore not jumping into big debts if you can avoid it.

Message Edited by mkatan on 01-06-2008 06:04 AM

I bought a new car December 2006 for c. 25K now 1 year later the loan is down to 11K. I have gotten 0 FICO points for it.
Message 33 of 474
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smallfry wrote:

I bought a new car December 2006 for c. 25K now 1 year later the loan is down to 11K. I have gotten 0 FICO points for it.

It's results like this that make it apparent how little weight installment and mortgage loans carry in scoring. They do count, but you sure don't get the swings in score changes that you do with revolving.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 34 of 474
marty56
Super Contributor

I wonder if that is because they are secured loans.  It is also interesting to me that if you max a CC out, you get a score hit but FICO has no interest that a ARM mortgage that goes up
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 35 of 474
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@marty56 wrote:
I wonder if that is because they are secured loans. It is also interesting to me that if you max a CC out, you get a score hit but FICO has no interest that a ARM mortgage that goes up

I'm sure that you're right. FICO rewards highly-disciplined management of risk, and there is a lot more risk represented by credit cards than car loans and mortgages. No one wants to look out the window at midnight and see their car on the hook, vanishing down the street. Of course, now you read about people walking away from their mortgages, because they're homes have lost so much value that they are seriously upside-down.

This is also why it's so upsetting for HELOC holders like MV, whose credit limit isn't high enough to get EX to treat it as a mortgage. Even if the limit is "only" $25K, it's still secured by his home, and presumably MV and Mrs. MV would do whatever it took to keep the dining room and new roof from being repo'd.
Message 36 of 474
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

It's results like this that make it apparent how little weight installment and mortgage loans carry in scoring. They do count, but you sure don't get the swings in score changes that you do with revolving.

I liken FICO to a man's lot in marriage. You don't get much credit for doing the right things but screw up and oh boy. Smiley Wink
Message 37 of 474
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smallfry wrote:

smallfry wrote:I bought a new car December 2006 for c. 25K now 1 year later the loan is down to 11K. I have gotten 0 FICO points for it.
I liken FICO to a man's lot in marriage. You don't get much credit for doing the right things but screw up and oh boy. Smiley Wink

You must have been talking to DH! Smiley Very Happy Poor dears, so misunderstood...
Message 38 of 474
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

I have been married 12 years and boy is this true Smiley Happy
Message 39 of 474
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
for the 5k balance Q, (snip)

mkatan: I was questioning the 1.2k, not the 5k. I would be shocked if the 1.2k has been true for quite awhile, especially with all the recent inflation!! Smiley Tongue

Re installment loans: the recent housing loan probs make me wonder if installment loans will be come more predictive in the future, especially with exotic loans, and therefore weighted more heavily in future formulas. A glimpse of "FICO2012"??? Smiley Tongue
Message 40 of 474
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.