cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanded "FICO High Achievers" (scores of 760 and above) characteristics list

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Expanded "FICO High Achievers" (scores of 760 and above) characteristics list

I show 3% total util with 11% on 1 card reporting.  In 2 weeks it will show 1% util and 1% on card so I will be able to anser that question.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 111 of 474
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Re: Expanded "FICO High Achievers" (scores of 760 and above) characteristics list

I didn't see this in the list of characteristics, but it shows up as my number 1 negative:

The amount owed on your revolving accounts is too high.

Your FICO score evaluates how much you owe on your revolving accounts (such as your credit cards). The amount you owe on these accounts is too high.

Most FICO High Achievers owe less than $600 on revolving accounts such as credit cards and department store cards.

I have a long way to go to get it under $600.

Message Edited by Phoenix-rising on 07-04-2008 07:11 PM
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 112 of 474
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Phoenix-rising wrote:
I didn't see this in the list of characteristics, but it shows up as my number 1 negative:

Your FICO score evaluates how much you owe on your revolving accounts (such as your credit cards). The amount you owe on these accounts is too high.
Most FICO High Achievers owe less than $600 on revolving accounts such as credit cards and department store cards.

I have a long way to go to get it under $600.

What is your utilization on revolving?
Message 113 of 474
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

@Phoenix-rising wrote:

My UT is negative item #3.

You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

It was 35% on June 16.  After my accounts update this month that number should drop a little since I got $6k in CLIs and paid down $4k.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 114 of 474
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EQ score is 763 but I'm being "hurt" by opening a new account in the past 3 months (student loan for my son).  How many points do you think my score went down by opening that account?  It's not like I had much choice anyway but I'm curious.
Message 115 of 474
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Phoenix-rising wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

@Phoenix-rising wrote:

My UT is negative item #3.
You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.
It was 35% on June 16. After my accounts update this month that number should drop a little since I got $6k in CLIs and paid down $4k.

You would see an enormous improvement if you got the utilization under 9%.
Message 116 of 474
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
My EQ score is 763 but I'm being "hurt" by opening a new account in the past 3 months (student loan for my son). How many points do you think my score went down by opening that account? It's not like I had much choice anyway but I'm curious.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

You could have easily lost up to 20 points, simply because your scores are so high.

For those of us muddling around in lower score ranges, we typically don't get penalized as much as those in the 760+ range. But if the loan is three months old, your scores are already moving back up. The speed will depend on other things, such as what your average credit history age is. If it's relatively high, the new account wouldn't have dropped it much, and you're mainly getting penalized for having a new account (under 1 year old.) But if your average age was low (unlikely, with your scores and having a college-aged son), a new account will hurt more.

As I have experienced, to my sadness! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 117 of 474
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Someone over at CB lost 47 points from 802 on EQ for 1 new account showing.
Message 118 of 474
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smallfry wrote:

I lost 74 on EX, starting from 749, but that was on, ummmm, 6 new accounts reporting. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 119 of 474
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

I lost 74 on EX, starting from 749, but that was on, ummmm, 6 new accounts reporting. Smiley Very Happy

It should be interesting. He did a few more apps. It seems low average age is not the only criteria for scoring and new accounts. Once your score gets into the stratosphere it might be best to sit tight with what you have unless its a card you just must have. That poster's average age was well over 12 years.
Message 120 of 474
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.