Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Score Drop 15 point

tag
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

Experian Score Drop 15 point

Just got and alert that my Amex reported new available credit from $9.3K to $15K and my score dropped 15 points. I requested for an increase a month a go but I'm not reporting any balance on my cards besides the AU Amex card

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

FICO: Experian 821 | TransUnion 825 | Equifax 830 | Last App: 08/28/2017
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian Score Drop 15 point

@SMDLiquid wrote:

Just got and alert that my Amex reported new available credit from $9.3K to $15K and my score dropped 15 points. I requested for an increase a month a go but I'm not reporting any balance on my cards besides the AU Amex card

Just means that the CL was the factor that caused the alert and doesn't mean that is what caused your score drop

Message 2 of 15
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

Nothing has change on my credit report just reporting no utilization 

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

Message 3 of 15
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

Just pulled my experian report nothing negative but it is reporting 0% credit usage Smiley Indifferent

Won't let that happen again

Message 4 of 15
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

0% Credit Usage

My Experian score dropped 15 points. Pull my credit report and I have no negatives but I do have 0% credit usage

Will that a lone drop my score? After adding some usage will my score bounce back?

Message 5 of 15
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Re: 0% Credit Usage

You might get 2/3's back. But then youll get dinged for having an account reporting a balance.

Theres no way ro win.
Message 6 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Let 1 credit card report a balance of no more than 9% of its individual CL each month, Fico dings you for not using any revolving credit at all.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale - +1

@Racer-x - Incorrect. Your score will go up when a minimal balance reports on one card. For more details read the thread linked below. 

@SMDLiquid - Please refer to this thread for a more detailed discussion - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-utilization-and-your-FICO-score/m-p/377...

Message 8 of 15
racer-x
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale - +1

@racer-x - Incorrect. Your score will go up when a minimal balance reports on one card. For more details read the thread linked below. 

@SMDLiquid - Please refer to this thread for a more detailed discussion - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-utilization-and-your-FICO-score/m-p/3772545#M201833

Geez, I understand all that....but when a previously reported $0 balance account reports an actual balance, he will not get as many points back.

Let me show you my link here:  www.let's say dude had 5 cards with balances and he PIF'd all of them but one card and left it 1 -9%.  That's great.  Theoretically he'll be at optimum fico points. Now lets say he has 5 accounts that he PIF's and he subsequently loses say 10 points. And then, come next statement cuts, he allows one account to report that 1-9% balance, and he gains 6 pts back...I say he now gets dinged for having an account reporting a "NEW"  balance in essence.  If that was not the case and I'm an idiot, then he may have gotten 8 pts back if there is no 'dingage' for an account reporting a "NEW" balance....com.

Jeebus, I'm a credit master... i don't need no stinkin' links. lol.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@racer-x wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale - +1

@racer-x - Incorrect. Your score will go up when a minimal balance reports on one card. For more details read the thread linked below. 

@SMDLiquid - Please refer to this thread for a more detailed discussion - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-utilization-and-your-FICO-score/m-p/3772545#M201833

Geez, I understand all that....but when a previously reported $0 balance account reports an actual balance, he will not get as many points back.

Let me show you my link here:  www.let's say dude had 5 cards with balances and he PIF'd all of them but one card and left it 1 -9%.  That's great.  Theoretically he'll be at optimum fico points. Now lets say he has 5 accounts that he PIF's and he subsequently loses say 10 points. And then, come next statement cuts, he allows one account to report that 1-9% balance, and he gains 6 pts back...I say he now gets dinged for having an account reporting a "NEW"  balance in essence.  If that was not the case and I'm an idiot, then he may have gotten 8 pts back if there is no 'dingage' for an account reporting a "NEW" balance....com.

Jeebus, I'm a credit master... i don't need no stinkin' links. lol.

The loss of 10 points and gain of 6 points is not due to an account reporting a balance. The change is likely due to the change in the overall credit mix of the user. Your FICO scoring is not based on static percentage values of every category. As your credit profile changes the respective weights of each category (e.g. utilization) on your report changes. Something as little as change in AAoA (time passes) on your account can alter the weight utilization has on your score and thus cause an increased or reduced gain back in points when you go from reporting a 5% balance to a 0% balance back to a 5% balance. If time was frozen during these changes and the report was kept identical, you gain back in points should be identical to the points lost. 

People frequently make the mistake of assuming categories have a fixed value (e.g. Utilization having a 30% weight on your score). If all categories had a fixed value, competitors would have easily broken down and replicated the FICO formulas. Moreover, change in utilization would have an identical impact on someone with an 800 score or 500 score. Because categories have dynamic values that change as your profile changes, you might not get back the same number of points as you lose when you change and bring back your utilization to a past data point. 

Finally, I meant no disrespect with my earlier post. I am not a "credit master" and most people who post here are not as well. I know more than most and less than some, but I occasionally post something incorrect. Stating that you get dinged for an account reporting a new under 10% balance when all your accounts earlier had no balances is incorrect. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.