Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian different scores

tag
getahead
Regular Contributor

Experian different scores

I recently got declined from Macys, they sent me a letter with my Ex of 551, when I pulled my score from experian.com it was 617.  Why is there such a huge difference?

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian different scores

@getahead wrote:

I recently got declined from Macys, they sent me a letter with my Ex of 551, when I pulled my score from experian.com it was 617.  Why is there such a huge difference?

Welcome to the forums.

The score from the Experian website is not a FICO score. It';s called a "Plus" score and is not used by any lenders. Therefore it's basically useless. No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only.

The score from Macy's should be accurate but it's hard to say. In the letter does it say anywhere that the 551 is a FICO Experian score?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 6
getahead
Regular Contributor

thanks for the reply MarineVietVet, I'm not sure if it specifically stated Fico EX, but it showed me how I can pull the free report from EX, so do you think it would be a FAKO or FICO?

Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@getahead wrote:

thanks for the reply MarineVietVet, I'm not sure if it specifically stated Fico EX, but it showed me how I can pull the free report from EX, so do you think it would be a FAKO or FICO?

If it was a FICO score it should say so in the letter but I'm not saying that's a guarantee. Can you write exactly what the letter said?

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 6
getahead
Regular Contributor

I will reply when I get home to look on the letter, thank you for your help.  I'm trying to rebuild my credit to purchase a home next year, any tips?  I've cleared alot of baddies but my utl is kind of high, working on paying down my balances.  Do you know how much of an impact this would help my score by bringing down my CC balances?

Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@getahead wrote:

I will reply when I get home to look on the letter, thank you for your help.  I'm trying to rebuild my credit to purchase a home next year, any tips?  I've cleared alot of baddies but my utl is kind of high, working on paying down my balances.  Do you know how much of an impact this would help my score by bringing down my CC balances?

Utilization is 30% of your total score so it can have a big impact. Reducing that utilization is also one of the fastest ways to improve a score.

I'd suggest reading the following:

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Also you might visit the Rebuilding Your Credit board and start reading and asking for advice. Most everyone there (If not all) have been in your shoes.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.