Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian dropped 27pts for an inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian dropped 27pts for an inquiry

How can a score drop 27pts for an inquiry??? I have never heard of a score dropping so much for an inquiry, can this really be correct???
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian dropped 27pts for an inquiry

It didn't drop 27 points from an inquiry. The inquiry was simply the trigger for the update.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t think I follow, trigger?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don’t think I follow, trigger?

There are multiple different events, or "triggers" that cause a MyFico alert. One of them is new inquiries. There is frequently little or no relationship between the event itself and any change that occurs in the score.

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With these triggers, if it's not anything negative being reported, why is there such a negative impact on my score? Is there anyway for me to get any of these pts back?
Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
With these triggers, if it's not anything negative being reported, why is there such a negative impact on my score? Is there anyway for me to get any of these pts back?

Unfortunately would need to be a detailed analysis of the report changes before and after and even then we might not be able to pick it out.

In broad strokes I think people here and elsewhere have a pretty good handle on the algorithm but there's a bunch of subtlety which is hard to tease out.  The trigger comment was right in my opinion, for reference I took a couple of mortgage inquiries and had an interesting change in the middle of it with regards to an installment tradeline (which the monitoring doesn't catch at all, that I consider really lame personally) and I jumped many points for the inquiry report.  

It's not a perfect solution, monitoring today just doesn't have the accuracy for real analysis unfortunately with how many variables there are in the calculation.  It's great for the scores, not so good on reasons the score changed.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.