Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian makes me look bad :-)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian makes me look bad :-)

I did a quick search before I decided to post, and what I saw was that more people complain about Equifax than Experian, but in my experience, Experian is the worst of my 3 scores.  I just went from a "good" to "not good."  I don't understand why the 3 are so wildly different.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian makes me look bad :-)

@Anonymous wrote:

I did a quick search before I decided to post, and what I saw was that more people complain about Equifax than Experian, but in my experience, Experian is the worst of my 3 scores.  I just went from a "good" to "not good."  I don't understand why the 3 are so wildly different.

Welcome to the forums!

Variations in the data, and some variations in the algorithm between the three bureaus though FICO has been working to address that with more recent models (as apparently the lenders don't like it either based on Vantagescore marketing); old guideline stated by FICO was that your scores should be within 30 points of one another.  Does seem like more people on the forums complain about EQ being the dog, and is in my case, but we're a small population... wouldn't surprise me if that didn't hold true when looked across the entire consumer base.

        
Message 2 of 10
jeffeverde
New Contributor

Not every creditor (or collector) reports to every CRA, so you'll often see sometimes significant score differences because the reports actually have different content.  That aside, you'll see a lot of people in the credit forums knocking EQ, because there's no effective way to cause hard credit pulls to roll off your credit report early (see "bumpage")

Message 3 of 10

I am pretty disappointed with experian myself right now!!! I have been working on my scores all year, i finally qualified for a USDA mortgage, and have been fighting to get my transunion up to above 620.

Well, i just lost my job the beginning of October so it put the whole home buying on hold for a bit, i payed off everything we could so we wouldnt miss any payments. The beginning of the month, experian punished me for my utilization being at 22%, where the other two burrows it really didnt effect. Well, when it was finally reported that my monthly cc debt went from 22% to 0% i was so happy to see my Transunion finally budge up 11 points, my equifax 2 points, i couldnt wait to see how much my experian would go up as it was my mid-score, the next day finally fico updated for experian, my heart sunk, i wanted to cry....they punished me AGAIN for having 0% utilization and took 15 points away from me Smiley Sad 

I do not understand how two burrows reward you for keeping you utilization down, even to a 0%, and then you have Experian whom punishes you for over 20% and punishes you when you pay off your debt too, NOW i dont have a mid-score that qualifies my right now and i just accepted a new job two days ago...ugh! This is so frustrating!

Starting scores 2/2014 - EX-583 EQ-581

Current- TU 618 EQ 633 EX 611

Starting Score: 583EX
Current Score: TU: 686 | EQ: 679 | EX:685
Goal Score: 720s All Around!

Message 4 of 10
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Equifax is my very worst.  But living in the south, Equifax is the most commonly pulled CB. So I have many more inquiries on Equifax than I do on the other 2.  Everything else is pretty much the same.  I have no unpaid collections, no baddies, no past dues, no over the limit, no maxed out cards.  Its just that every single inquiry seems to end up on Equifax.

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 5 of 10
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

I hate them all equallySmiley Tongue

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They all suck. I went through a bad divorce in 2008 and ended up with a load of collection accounts due to my ex wife not paying stuff. In 2012 I paid every single negative account on my credit report and even had a lot of them completely removed. I got 5 credit cards, paid off a personal loan I took out to build my credit, and now have a car loan. It's been over 2.5 years and I've never missed a payment on anything. My score has only gone from 550 to around the 635 range. I keep reading all these online posts from people going up into the mid 600 to low 700's range in 6 months and I just don't get it. I'm going on 3 years with a perfect payment history and all the negative stuff is paid off or gone and I've only gone up 85 points. The entire system is rigged against you and it's all bullsh*t.

Message 7 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

They all suck. I went through a bad divorce in 2008 and ended up with a load of collection accounts due to my ex wife not paying stuff. In 2012 I paid every single negative account on my credit report and even had a lot of them completely removed. I got 5 credit cards, paid off a personal loan I took out to build my credit, and now have a car loan. It's been over 2.5 years and I've never missed a payment on anything. My score has only gone from 550 to around the 635 range. I keep reading all these online posts from people going up into the mid 600 to low 700's range in 6 months and I just don't get it. I'm going on 3 years with a perfect payment history and all the negative stuff is paid off or gone and I've only gone up 85 points. The entire system is rigged against you and it's all bullsh*t.

Hello and welcome to myFICO.

I would consider a rise of 85 points in 2.5 years to be excellent progress.

Keep doing the same things and time will be your friend and you'll keep seeing upward movement.

Education is the key. Stick around myFICO and I'm confident you'll learn the nuances of credit and debt management.

Message 8 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think the thicker your file is the easier/quicker it will be to progress faster. You just need to give it time. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 10
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

It's the opposite for me. Ex has been my highest score, followed by TU and lastly EQ. 

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.