cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian reporting missed payment in the last 2 months even though no missed payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian reporting missed payment in the last 2 months even though no missed payments

Hi all, I've been going through my credit reports and I'm trying to figure out why exactly Experian is reporting that I missed a payment 2 months ago. The odd thing is all of the previous reports on Experian's website (dating from today back to May 2017 when I tried the $1 thing) says a payment was missed 2 months ago. Absolutely none of my accounts listed on Experian (or the others) show a payment a payment was missed and all are Ok, nothing late.

Is there anything I can do to fix why it's saying that? I've tried the dispute online thing, but it keeps telling me that the request can't be done online and needs to be mailed for some reason, and their free reports don't have report numbers on them for whatever reason.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian reporting missed payment in the last 2 months even though no missed payments

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, I've been going through my credit reports and I'm trying to figure out why exactly Experian is reporting that I missed a payment 2 months ago. The odd thing is all of the previous reports on Experian's website (dating from today back to May 2017 when I tried the $1 thing) says a payment was missed 2 months ago. Absolutely none of my accounts listed on Experian (or the others) show a payment a payment was missed and all are Ok, nothing late.

Is there anything I can do to fix why it's saying that? I've tried the dispute online thing, but it keeps telling me that the request can't be done online and needs to be mailed for some reason, and their free reports don't have report numbers on them for whatever reason.

Do you know which company (credit card? auto loan?) is reporting your missed payment?  If so, you could call them directly and ask why they reported it.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian reporting missed payment in the last 2 months even though no missed payments

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know which company (credit card? auto loan?) is reporting your missed payment?  If so, you could call them directly and ask why they reported it.

No clue to be honest. The Experian report lists all my current accs as in good standing, no missed payments. Every monthly report I've gotten from them starting from May 2017 to today's date says 2 months ago for a missed payment though. MyFICO 3b says the same thing with Experian. Both TransUnion and Equifax both report nothing missed, so I'm not sure what's going on with Experian.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is monitoring software telling you that you missed a payment?  I would suggest obtaining a hard copy report of your credit report from Experian. 

How many total accounts do you have?

Usually when monitoring software tells you that there's an account with a negative item X number of years old, it also has a way to tell you what that account is.  Do you also get a "recently missed a payment" or similar negative reason code? 

As suggested by someone above, if there indeed is a negative item reported that shouldn't be, going after Experian regarding it isn't the right move... it's contacting the original creditor and getting them to re-report without the presence of the negative.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So this is monitoring software telling you that you missed a payment?  I would suggest obtaining a hard copy report of your credit report from Experian. 

How many total accounts do you have?

Usually when monitoring software tells you that there's an account with a negative item X number of years old, it also has a way to tell you what that account is.  Do you also get a "recently missed a payment" or similar negative reason code? 

As suggested by someone above, if there indeed is a negative item reported that shouldn't be, going after Experian regarding it isn't the right move... it's contacting the original creditor and getting them to re-report without the presence of the negative.

I've got 3 open CC accounts, and my federal student loan. All of them list no missed payments and no late payments. Both Experian's free reports/score tracker and MyFICO's Ultimate 3B report (for Experian of course) show that I have a recent missed a payment 2 months ago. The older reports say 2 months, while the newer ones also say 2 months ago as well instead of increasing in age like you think they would.

So at this point, I'm assuming Experian's got something odd going on with my report that I probably need to dispute. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to obtain a hard copy report from Experian and look over your accounts.  If there is negative information reported by one of your creditors that isn't valid, the correct avenue is to contact the creditor and have them report the correct information.  Your Experian credit report will show what has been reported to them by your creditors.  If something is wrong, your beef is with the creditor, not with the reporting agency.

Message 6 of 14
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Did you have a collection account hit your report a couple months ago

I learnt that when a collection account gets posted, that "resets" the date since last negative

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

Did you have a collection account hit your report a couple months ago

I learnt that when a collection account gets posted, that "resets" the date since last negative

No. The last collection account I had was over 2 years ago and it was removed from my credit report as per the agreement. As of this moment, all of my reports are reporting everything clean, no collections or anything. Just Experian's "last missed payment 2 months ago" on every free credit report they've issued since Apr/May of 2017. I applied for my Chase Freedom back in March, was approved instantly. IIRC, Chase pulled my Experian and Equifax reports for that and I didn't have this issue with Experian until I received that card (and even then, all my cards have never had a missed payment/late payment). Possible something went wrong with my Experian report after getting that card?

Regardless, I sent out a dispute letter to Experian today. Hopefully it'll result in that issue getting removed. It's a bit bad seeing a 30-40 point drop over my Equi and TU scores because of that. Disappointed I was most likely denied for a CSP because of that. Doubt calling recon would do anything if that's going to show up on my Experian report until it gets removed.

Message 8 of 14
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Something similar happened to my sister. We finally found the culprit was in the comments of one of her accounts.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:
Something similar happened to my sister. We finally found the culprit was in the comments of one of her accounts.

Any tips on where to find that, or would I need to actually obtain a hard copy of a report from Experian? I've combed through just about everything and there are no comments or anything. Everything says paid/paid on time/etc, never nothing late. That message only popped up on Experian after I got that last Chase card back near the end of March.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.