Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian score jumped 28 pts!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian score jumped 28 pts!

My Experian score has consistently been roughly 20 points lower than my other two scores. I always assumed that was because they are the only CRA my state tax lien is reported to. This morning I got an email alert from 3 bureau monitoring of a score change. I logged in and saw that my score went from 678 to 706. Naturally I was pumped but at the same time I am baffled as to why the sudden jump. I did pay my 6k dollar tax lien just under a month ago but it doesn't show as paid on my credit report. That was the first thing I checked when I saw the jump. I ordered a report through MyFico and I ordered a report from my experian credit monitoring membership. My tax lien still shows the same. My utilization is still the same as it pretty much has been which is just under 10%. Can anyone give me some possible reasons for a sudden jump when nothing has changed much? My tax lien was filed back in 2007. Even if it was reported as paid and I just don't see it I doubt my score would change that much.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Experian score jumped 28 pts!

I can't say for certain, but it is possible you are just too quick to go for your CR. It may take time to fully propagate new information to all the servers. I'd suggest giving it a week at least and see if the lien drops.

Congratulation on the jump, though, it looks like things are moving in the right direction!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My Experian score has consistently been roughly 20 points lower than my other two scores. I always assumed that was because they are the only CRA my state tax lien is reported to. This morning I got an email alert from 3 bureau monitoring of a score change. I logged in and saw that my score went from 678 to 706. Naturally I was pumped but at the same time I am baffled as to why the sudden jump. I did pay my 6k dollar tax lien just under a month ago but it doesn't show as paid on my credit report. That was the first thing I checked when I saw the jump. I ordered a report through MyFico and I ordered a report from my experian credit monitoring membership. My tax lien still shows the same. My utilization is still the same as it pretty much has been which is just under 10%. Can anyone give me some possible reasons for a sudden jump when nothing has changed much? My tax lien was filed back in 2007. Even if it was reported as paid and I just don't see it I doubt my score would change that much.

Unfortunately the filing date for a tax lien does not trigger the beginning of the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period). Unpaid tax liens can remain on your reports forever.

According to FCRA 605(a)(3): Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years.

So the lien will report (as paid), unless you get it removed early, for seven more years.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that. What I mean is that the lien is old so I assume it only has so much impact. Therefore if it reported as paid I don't see it making that big of a difference. Either way as far as I can tell it doesn't even report as paid yet. But I know the removal time just started since I just paid it. I,ve just never had such a big jump without any big changes on my report. It almost seems like it's some fluke and my score will drop down in a day or so. I could see if I had some highly utilized card that I suddenly paid down. Or got a derog removed. But 28 points at once doesn't seem real. I know scores fluctuate due to so many variables but mine never fluctuated like that.

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately the filing date for a tax lien does not trigger the beginning of the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period). Unpaid tax liens can remain on your reports forever.

According to FCRA 605(a)(3): Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years.

So the lien will report (as paid), unless you get it removed early, for seven more years.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.